RLJ'ers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Damn you, you are right! But it was changed back in 2009 despite people still smoking it...so I won't count it after all.

:tongue:

Defying the courts over gagging orders ? :whistle:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
[QUOTE 1399788"]
Pedestrian crossings were created to force traffic to stop, not to limit when a pedestrian can cross.
[/quote]

Worth repeating, I think.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Quite right, you are not he/she. The person I refer to is exceedingly confrontational and seems to spend the majority of their time while cycling looking for fault and criticising the actions of other road users while they proclaim to the world how excellent, skillful and reasonable they are as a road user.
Assuming you're talking about Mike, I think you're actually being a bit harsh there: he's perfectly happy to discuss his cycling errors just he would the errors of anyone else.

Raa

Give me one example of people ignoring laws resulting in it being changed? Mass protesting maybe, but ignoring...I await you example.

How about an example that's nice and close to home. Flashing LED lights were illegal for a long time but because people ignored the law and went ahead and used them the silly law got changed.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
How about an example that's nice and close to home. Flashing LED lights were illegal for a long time but because people ignored the law and went ahead and used them the silly law got changed.
I've only just got back into cycling so feel free to correct me, but weren't they only illegal if you used them exclusively? If used in conjunction with a static light they were OK weren't they?

Raa

Thats probably true but I think there were plenty of people with just the one (flashing) light...

Dan B

Disengaged member
Damn you, you are right! But it was changed back in 2009 despite people still smoking it...so I won't count it after all.
That's not what you originally specified ;-) OK, I'd have to do more research to be definite on this one, but I am reasonably sure that prior to 1988 it was illegal (breach of copyright) to take a backup of the software installed on your computer, for your personal use. Now, I don't recall any particular mass protests to get this changed, but I am pretty sure that every sane computer user ignored that law anyway.

Ripping your music CDs - e.g. to Ipod - is still illegal, incidentally. I hope that nobody who says we cannot "pick and choose" the laws we obey is doing that. I mention it because that law is also widely ignored and the Government are looking at changing it

I believe that this change was to bring it into line with the more sensible European law in 2005, not due to people flouting it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Thats probably true but I think there were plenty of people with just the one (flashing) light...

LED lights (flashing or otherwise) were illegal and in widespread use for a very long time, because the law specified filament lights.

Pedal reflectors that point front and rear - technically impossible on a recumbent - are also a legal requirement, as we all know. That's kind of off the point, though, because I don't know of any moves to get that law changed

Raa

I also hear the government are looking at ways to legalize cycling contraflow on one-way streets. I doubt they would be bothering if it were not for the large numbers of people ignoring the restrictions on a daily basis without incident.

GrasB

Veteran
I suspect you may be right - but your talking on a forum where most people tend to need a small nuclear generator to power their lighting setups :tongue:
Please not get carried away, we merely need a hundred weight batteries :laugh:... I'll take mine in the lithium ion variety thanks

And the people campaigning for the change with well reasoned arguments.

If a law was changed just because it was often flouted, then mobile phone useage while driving and speeding would already be fine in law.
My point is that it takes a campaign to do this, not just ignoring the law because it doesn't suit you.

U

User482

And if they hit me at speed because they couldn't be @rsed to stop whilst I was legitimately crossing as a pedestrian then that would be OK then?!?!?! Would it still be OK if it was your kids/elderly parents crossing?

In one short post you've a) completely missed my point and b) attributed an opinion to me that I do not hold.

Quite an effort. What other tricks do you do?

Top Bottom