Road bike, £400-450. Ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Go 2nd hand, from either this forum or another biking forum - you can't go wrong. I, too, was on a tightish budget but I wouldn't have spent the money I did have on anything new, not at your price level - no offence.

I'd look for bikes, 2nd hand, that were worth a bit more when they began their lives before being sold by someone who isn't passing on a ragged old wreck but has maybe got 2 or 3 other bikes and has simply moved on. What the hell for a few scratches? I mean buy new at that price and give a month or so and they'll be worn in too.

I have a Defy 3, recently changed the wheels for what have turned out to be a blinding pair - Ritchey Protocols. That, my own fitness levels improving, regular services and watching for potholes have turned into a good set-up. Okay, with the Sora you can't change gears when you have your hands low on the drops which is stupid, but from what I gather (?) one of the only differences between Sora and Tiagra.

It's all very well for people to harp on about what they'd do (usually with a lot more money and hence choice) but you gotta' do what will be best for the money and I'd say go 2nd hand at that price. Either that or wait like some other posters have suggested.

shippers

There was a guy looking to sell an allez sport on here a couple of days ago for £500- lovely bike- my mate got one about 2 months ago and he loves it.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the post...

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman

croyde

Evans were/are doing the Fuji Roubaix 3.0 for around £455 with a voucher from last Saturday's Times if you can find one.

I don't know much about road bikes but this has Sora. Would have fancied it myself except I don't like the shifts on Sora thus I am gonna have to save up for an Allez Elite.

gaz911

I have just purchased the Fuji Roubaix 3.0 from Evans using the 30% code. Was in two minds as didnt have time to see the bike or try it out, but didnt want to miss the deal of getting a £650 bike for £450, at that price it must be competitve against others in that bracket. The thing that made my mind up is Evans 30 day trial on certain bikes, you can return for full refund, even in a used state. Good idea as a quick test around the shops car park aint no match for a real test on a full ride.

As my first road bike not really to sure of pros and cons, have been reaserching for few weeks now and was in the mind that at a certain price range they dont differ, so as I was stuck to a budget wanted to get more bike for the money, hence buying this bike with the offer.

Must remember to keep it clean if its going back.

shippers

I agree about bikes within a price bracket being very similar. They mostly use shimano bits, as you climb the price points the level of shimano bits goes up across the board. Get round £600 and get carbon forks...
Just try a couple of bikes out and see what suits you. AND DON'T BUY A WHITE ONE!!!
It does seem though that as the prices increase, each step up in technology becomes smaller, and the price steps get bigger. Compare the Specialized Roubaix Expert SL (£2499) and Specialized Roubaix Pro SL (£3400). As far as I can see, the extra grand buys you the next level up in some Shimano parts. How bonkersly into it must you be for it to be worth spending the extra thousand pounds?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/roubaix-pro-sl-2010-road-bike-ec020007
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/roubaix-expert-sl-2010-road-bike-ec020008

Top Bottom