Road Bike: £750 budget max, L/56/58CM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Some great bikes there Vickster! Yes 6 foot so need a 56cm ideally! Good deals though, but found a better one so went for it.... just bought a Planet X RT58 in blue with full 105 groupset for £549! Getting built in the next few days and should be with me by the middle of next week, cannot wait! http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPX58105/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-shimano-105-5800-road-bike

Using it for sportives and all dry weather rides, keeping the boardman hybrid as a 2nd bike/turbo bike/wet weather bike and possibly a commuter in the future! :smile:

Havent you got one Vickster? what do you think of it?
I converted one to flatbars which a friend is having probably

I only road it a couple of times with drops. Was fine for the price I paid (£500 SRAM rival). Frame finishing a bit rough and ready

Doubt sub 9k kg though

OP
OP
M

MY95

But also (you said) much more expensive, so it's not really surprising if they were lighter.

"Slow" - interesting!! Pedal harder?

BB

Yes the Treks of the same age were more money, but had a much lighter frame and wheels and you could feel it!

OP
OP
M

MY95

I converted one to flatbars which a friend is having probably

I only road it a couple of times with drops. Was fine for the price I paid (£500 SRAM rival). Frame finishing a bit rough and ready

Doubt sub 9k kg though

Yeah £550 with the 105, happy with it as long as it comes and works 100%! Will be a big upgrade on my hybrid boardman anyway! Yeah frame welds not the best, but on a budget it looked the best VFM by far and looks like a nice looking bike! Says 8.5kg, frame is 1410g and fork another 580g so just under 2kg for the frame and fork, and with the full 105 I wouldnt be surprised if it was under 9kg! Says 8.5kg so they should be sticking to their word... cycling weekly review says 8.88kg though for a large! (although SRAM Rival is 8.6kg not 8.5 but thats dependant on size)

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough. Just don't think it felt as light as my 9kg steelie and certainly not the carbon (those have lighter wheels than the campag khamsins). SRAM a little lighter than shimano

Weight is largely irrelevant anyhow in terms of a kilo

What size did you order? I have a medium at 5'10 and it felt none too big (and too small as flatbar hence the sale)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MY95

Went for a 56cm in the end with a 100mm stem (only had 56cm left in blue, but thankfully its my size anyway! 6ft on the dot with fairly long limbs so should be alright with that stem length I hope) and a planet x carbon lookalike seatpost for an extra £5 rather than the standard white one which would look naff! Went for the continental ultrasport 2 wired tyres rather than some hutchinson wired tyres also (cost me nothing to upgrade!)

OP
OP
M

MY95

Will upgrade them if need be! Should be fine, fit either a M/L or Large in Giant and a 56cm is spot on for me in the Trek size, 58cm a little too large, so should be fine! Can always get a longer stem if needed.

Last edited:
Some great bikes there Vickster! Yes 6 foot so need a 56cm ideally! Good deals though, but found a better one so went for it.... just bought a Planet X RT58 in blue with full 105 groupset for £549! Getting built in the next few days and should be with me by the middle of next week, cannot wait! http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPX58105/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-shimano-105-5800-road-bike

Using it for sportives and all dry weather rides, keeping the boardman hybrid as a 2nd bike/turbo bike/wet weather bike and possibly a commuter in the future! :smile:

Havent you got one Vickster? what do you think of it?
cool bike, and nice to have something that's a bit different. Not sure about paint job as looks slightly 1982?? just IMO, you understand

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

OP
OP
M

MY95

cool bike, and nice to have something that's a bit different. Not sure about paint job as looks slightly 1982?? just IMO, you understand

Cheers, love the paint job, just not a fan of the welds, but can easily get over that when you look at the spec for the money! Supposed to be very nice looking bikes in the flesh so im looking forward to taking delivery of mine :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Will upgrade them if need be! Should be fine, fit either a M/L or Large in Giant and a 56cm is spot on for me in the Trek size, 58cm a little too large, so should be fine! Can always get a longer stem if needed.
Did you compare the geometry to bikes you know fit before buying? PX have the measurements on their site

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MY95

I know the bike ive bought has a more relaxed sportive geometry (will suit me as I can have lower back issues/family history)
And yes I did look at the different measurements and they were very similar!
So the stats (planet x the left figure/trek emonda alr5 56cm also on the right):

Frame Size L/56cm

A Head Angle (°) 73.5 73.5
B Head Tube Length (mm) 170 170
C Effective Top Tube Horizontal (mm) 560 560
D Seat Angle (°) 73.3 73.3
E Seat tube c-t 560 513
F Chainstay Length (mm) 410 410
G Standover Height (mm) 806 767
I Stack (mm) 577 577
J Reach (mm) 386 387

Only the standover height and seat tube c-t that changes between the two bikes! So a more relaxed ride on the planet x which is good for me!

Top Bottom