Road bike advice please....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimW1967

Regular
I'm after my first 'proper' road bike, I know I can get a wide choice and save some £ buying 2nd hand, but I want new.
I am currently riding a 2011 Giant Defy 4 XL size, which I now know is too big for me, it was bought to see if I enjoyed road riding, I do, so time for a change.
I'm 5ft 11", 31" inside leg. I am not a racer, 30-40 mile rides are the norm, average 13-15mph. Even though I work out at the gym, I'm a bit overweight as I like food!
Anyway, the bike.
I want Ultegra gearing and disc brakes. Other than that, it's about how the bike looks tbh. I guess in the c£2k price bracket they are all pretty good to ride.
I really like the look of Merida Bikes, and they seem value with good components, especially this https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Reacto-Disc-6000-2018-Road-Bike_110670.htm, but I can't justify the cost even though it is a great looking bike.
I'm torn between these two, https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Scultura-Disc-5000-2019-Road-Bike_202969.htm, or https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Reacto-Disc-5000-2019-Road-Bike_202957.htm
I love the look of the Reacto, but I'm worried it may be a bit aero for me, the Scultura seems more of an endurance bike.
Any suggestions, pricing around £2k plus or minus a bit.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Get yourself down to your local bike shops and ask for some demo rides then decide after trying as many as you can

Worth going to local Decathlon

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Have a look at Sonder by Alpkit. Just brought out a Ti Ultegra kitted bike at around £2k. Can be tried out for a weekend. Interest free credit. Nice folk. Great bikes, well put together

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Why have you set yourself a specific £2k price point? Do you think that spending £2k on a bike is going to give you something that a £500 bike isn't - or for that matter a £100 secondhand bike?
It sounds to me that the only thing wrong with your current bike is it may be a size too large.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Why have you set yourself a specific £2k price point? Do you think that spending £2k on a bike is going to give you something that a £500 bike isn't - or for that matter a £100 secondhand bike?
It sounds to me that the only thing wrong with your current bike is it may be a size too large.
cause 2k is the price point in which you get full hydraulic shifters, decent groupset and wheels.......quite a lot of bikes below that price point will come with mechanical disc brakes, shite wheels and not full groupsets. our cycle to work scheme is capped at 2k and if its available, i'm spending the full amount and making sure i get what i want........maybe the OP is of the same mindset

OP
OP
T

TimW1967

Regular
Buy the one on which you can hoist the sickest mingers.
I'll be honest, I don't think this helps me, or know what it means?

That is a good looking bike.

cause 2k is the price point in which you get full hydraulic shifters, decent groupset and wheels.......quite a lot of bikes below that price point will come with mechanical disc brakes, shite wheels and not full groupsets. our cycle to work scheme is capped at 2k and if its available, i'm spending the full amount and making sure i get what i want........maybe the OP is of the same mindset
Exactly this. Thank you.

Love my Merida Scultura 5000 disc. Comfortable and fast. My bike usage is similar to yours. If you like the look, you'll love the Scultura in my opinion.

Thanks, good to hear. It's my lead contender at the moment.

I wouldn't get overly hung up on endurance or aero geometry. Unless of course you have back/neck issues...

If you like the aero - go for it - equally don't think and endurance bike will go slow. Plenty of guys in my club -averaging 20 mph on giant defys. !!!!

Top Bottom