Road Bike for a small lady

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Just finished a new bike for my girlfriend, a Trek 1.2 WSD frame that I have made into a Audax style bike for her, this is her first road bike, she has been using her old ATB until now for up to 100 miles, after that ride she agreed that she would like to join me riding from Bordeaux to Barcelona, I may have not highlighted the part about the Pyrenees being in between the two when trying to convince her to go mind you, so decided to treat her to a bike, hoping that it will help her to get over them; without hitting me! Most of the spec' was based on my own Van Nicholas Yukon.

I actually upgraded far more than I intended to initially, although should she really take to this style of bike I may well upgrade the frame at a later stage.

808_CTC_LOUISA_01_1.jpg

Trek 1.2 WSD 47cm frame with Mavic Kysrium Equipe wheels

808_CTC_LOUISA_03_1.jpg

TA Carmina 165mm 26-36-46, this gives roughly 24" to 95" gear ratios with 13-29 cassette, the chainset the bike came with was 170mm with larger overall chain rings

808_CTC_LOUISA_04_2.jpg

Campagnolo Record Red label Ergo, indulged here as personally I prefer the non QS front shifting and clunkier gear change.

808_CTC_LOUISA_06_1.jpg

Campagnolo Comp triple mech with 13-29 cassette

808_CTC_LOUISA_07_1.jpg

Campagnolo Comp Front mech, dsigned for larger rings, as you can see the outer plate does not follow the chain ring line, but it still works well enough.

808_CTC_LOUISA_08_1.jpg

Short depth bars, Shimano R650 57mm brakes, she only has tiny hands and has been used to V Brakes on straight bars so I did not want to compromise on the brake set up.

808_CTC_LOUISA_09_1.jpg

Cateye Strada Wireless computer.

As for Louisa she thought it looked lovely, although when I started to tell her the thought that went into the equipment choices I could see her eyes glazing over ;) :ohmy:

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Looks a nice blue bike ... I'm sure she appreciates the effort and thought that has gone into the bits she doesn't understand (and I don't).

Nick1979

Woww! It looks amazing, and with Campy Record comps.. that's a nice present!!

BTW, what are the 'red label' ergos? How do they differ from the white ones?

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Nick1979 said:
Woww! It looks amazing, and with Campy Record comps.. that's a nice present!!

BTW, what are the 'red label' ergos? How do they differ from the white ones?
The more recent Campagnolo shifters have a smoother shifting action, in the Record version they have this 'Red' model that still has the firmer shifting action I prefer where each gear change has a more positive click.

Horses for courses as they say, the smoother action versions are in reality fine, although I confess I am not a huge fan of the indexed front shifting that are the norm' on the lower groups, I did initially fit Centaur, one positive click to change rings then a finer click to adjust the trim if need be, I personally much prefer the older style with no indexing and again this is why I chose to indulge in Record; I don't even have those on my own bikes!

To an extent regarding the front indexed shifting this is again a personal choice, many use the indexed front shifters and like them, but I'm old and don't like change ;) :ohmy: !

glc08r-m.jpg

glc08_record_red_ergo-m.jpg

Red label with more postive shiftng action

Paul_Smith
[URL="http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/"]www.bikeplus.co.uk[/URL]

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
fossyant said:
Erm....how does she prefer the shifts..... it's her bike...looks nice though (man's hands vs lady's) !!

I am hoping she will as she still hasn't even seen it as I only finished it Tuesday night for her, tonight is her first ride.

The dimensions of the shifters are the same, smooth versus more positive does not equate to the latter being more difficult for a lady, as far as I was concerned it is the other way around as the action is more similar to what she had been used to on her ATB, although the main reason I chose Record Red was the non indexed front. When I mentioned ‘I prefer’ I was also meaning that in the context of what I hoped would be better for her as well, if I would have thought the smoother versions with indexed QS front were more appropriate I would have been more than happy to use the levers from lower groups as I have on my own bikes, infact more than happy :laugh:

Keith Oates said:
It's not just the love of a good bike that's gone into that build. Well done Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes I guess that means we are at the more serious stage now, she already has half a wardrobe and an ever increasing space on my bathroom shelf, my loo roll consumption has gone up (why do they use soooooooooo much) and I notice that I have food appearing in my fridge; didn't know you could keep food in a fridge, thought they were for beer!

Although she has mentioned the 'L' word she loves Doctor Who more, she is riding the bike for the first time tonight but I have to tape the last episode, I guess that means I must love her then as that means I will miss the TDF completely as I can't tape ITV4!

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Cathryn

Legendary Member
If she's missing Dr Who (massive episode tonight, regeneration special) she must L you!!! I'd L anyone who built me a bike like that!!! Beautiful!!

Plax

Guru
Cathryn said:
If she's missing Dr Who (massive episode tonight, regeneration special) she must L you!!! I'd L anyone who built me a bike like that!!! Beautiful!!

+1
It's serious having to miss Dr Who you know!

peanut

Nice bike Paul
reminds me of the first bike I built for my girlfriend some years back. Not as nicely equipped as yours though.

I was always worried she would get dispondent and give up so I always made sure I wasn't way up off the front but usually behind her.
Within a year she was competing in triathlons and leaving me for dead on the hills... groan

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
peanuts said:
...I was always worried she would get dispondent and give up so I always made sure I wasn't way up off the front but usually behind her.
Within a year she was competing in triathlons and leaving me for dead on the hills... groan
Am prepaired for that..;)

"I would be quicker if I had Record Red Levers on my bike"
"Your bike is newer so quicker"
"I was much faster at your age"
"Small people are more aerodynamic"
"I wasn't dropped I was observing your pedaling action from afar to make sure your 'Q' Factor was not too wide"

In reality I would be proud if she turned out to be quicker tham me; wouldn't be the first time, I used to take one lady out cycling on a regular basis and she can now do speeds that few, men included, can only dream of :tongue:

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Paul get on to ITV.com and watch it there on line (the Tour) - most of the shows are available after....

As for Dr Who - if you miss it, it will be available on-line very shortly after the programme - did this a couple of weeks ago when the family got home late - downloaded the episode within 30 mins of the show ending....

OP
OP
Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Aperitif said:
A lovely Saturday night story Paul - a bike built with real passion. Now if only you had done it in pinky red hues... :blush:
Actually colour did play a part in the decision making process ;), here are her first pics'.

808_Cycle_Chat1_1.jpg

Then she had to show it off to the old man and his dog who lives next door.

808_Cyclechat2_1.jpg

Fortunately he approved, his opinion means a lot to her as he is arguably one of the best frame builders in England. Those of you who know Cliff Shrubb then yes that should read "Old Man and Brand new Dog"
grin.gif
, he is called'Tommy' the Terrier, AKA 'Doggie', as usual when inbetween doggies Cliffy came back from Norfolk with a a new one, he likes he ears waggled and a bit of fuss but is not to sure about cyclists; bit like Cliffy then!

We only did a short test ride, but her first impressions were how much more responsive it was compared to her old ATB. One thing she does miss is the gear lever indicators though, often ladies rely on those to know which gear they should and shouldn’t use.

With upmarket drop bar shifters though there are no such indicators, many do indeed struggle for a while but with patience they get there in the end. I note that often men and women seem to learn this in a much different way, where as many men relate to how the chain moves up and down the cassette and what they therefore need to do to trim the front mech’, ladies often seem to learn this in a more mathematical way, certain gear numbers can only be used with certain chain ring numbers, as such they can find it more difficult when changing from a bike with gear indicators to one without.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Top Bottom