Road bike groupset compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay909

Can someone please help me? I want to upgrade my 2011 Giant Defy 2 road bike from a Shimano Tiagra groupset to A Shimano 105 R7000 groupset. Is my bike compatible and do I need modifications besides the groupset if needed?

chris-suffolk

I would assume that the 2011 Tiagra group-set is 9 speed (mine is) where-as the 105 R7000 is (I think) 11 speed, so complete new groupset, including brakes I would think to accomodate both 9 to 11 speed differences (i.e. chaiin width) but also cable pulls on derailleurs and brakes. Assuming that you have Hollow-tech, then that should be all you need + new brake and gear cables and new chain. Worth checking that the hub will take the 11 speed cassette - should be ok but may need spacers. I think that the 11 speed is actually narrower than the 9, but could be wrong on that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you mean geartrain or groupset? A full groupset includes wheels (or at least hubs) and the like, so you would have no problems.

If you actually mean the geartrain then it comes down the the current rear wheel and freehub. I think you'll be ok, but someone with direct experience will confirm.

si_c

Guru
Your bike should handle the upgrade no problems, you'll also need new wheels though, 11speed cassettes are slightly wider.

Other than that it's definitely a good upgrade for the bike and if you clean and service the old groupset you should get a few notes on eBay for it.

Top Bottom