Road bike needed for 11-year-old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Damon

I'm tearing my hair out trying to find a decent light-weight bike for my son's 11th birthday. He's unlikely to take it off road, so a bulky hefty mountain bike with 300 gears and silly suspension isn't what we're after. I ride a Bianchi road bike, and would love to be able to take him for reasonably long rides as he grows into teenage. Apart from the Dawes Espoir 3000 or something from Isla Bikes costing around £500, there appears to be nothing on the market. Occasionally something comes up on Ebay, but we're in southern Scotland (60 miles from both Edinburgh and Newcastle) and they're always too far away. Any help, ideas or offers of a long-forgotten bike in the attic welcomed!

Many thanks,

Damon Rodwell
01573 440761

Seamab

Hi Damon

I was in a similar position a few years back and bought an Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution Race bike in size small in the new year sales. My son would have been 12 at the time.

Maybe they still do similar bikes? I think it cost about £250

The one i have has a Truativ triple chainset with Shimano Sora levers. It is red in colour. TBH it never saw much use and the boys have now outgrown it (and me!). I use the back wheel from it occasionally on the turbo.

You'd be welcome to try it out to see if it might suit. Might be too far away for you though.

HonestMan1910

Über Member
Seamab said:
Hi Damon

I was in a similar position a few years back and bought an Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution Race bike in size small in the new year sales. My son would have been 12 at the time.

Maybe they still do similar bikes? I think it cost about £250

The one i have has a Truativ triple chainset with Shimano Sora levers. It is red in colour. TBH it never saw much use and the boys have now outgrown it (and me!). I use the back wheel from it occasionally on the turbo.

You'd be welcome to try it out to see if it might suit. Might be too far away for you though.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C441&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018344

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
HonestMan1910 said:

A friend of a friend bought that one for their child - I've seen it once and it looked nice. I think his son would be about 10 - year 6 anyway.

I took a really bad photo of it when I saw it...
akyg61.jpg

ChrisKH

Guru
Damon said:
I'm tearing my hair out trying to find a decent light-weight bike for my son's 11th birthday. He's unlikely to take it off road, so a bulky hefty mountain bike with 300 gears and silly suspension isn't what we're after. I ride a Bianchi road bike, and would love to be able to take him for reasonably long rides as he grows into teenage. Apart from the Dawes Espoir 3000 or something from Isla Bikes costing around £500, there appears to be nothing on the market. Occasionally something comes up on Ebay, but we're in southern Scotland (60 miles from both Edinburgh and Newcastle) and they're always too far away. Any help, ideas or offers of a long-forgotten bike in the attic welcomed!

Many thanks,

Damon Rodwell
01573 440761

The Islabikes road bikes are £450 and the flat bar Beinn 26 is £300. My son has the £300 version and it is worth every penny.

Top Bottom