Road bike or not......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclecorfu

Regular
hi I own a specialized hybrid, I'm looking at maybe trying a road bike, but not to sure how i would fair with the slim tyres!!! To the point that I looked at the boardman cyclocross in halfords today. Any advice on the differences I will encounter on both types would be great. I'm getting confused looking. The different gears etc. it's a mine field!!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Where are you riding, how far, do you need mudguards, pannier rack etc etc

I'd suggest you go test ride one at evans for example and see what you think of the experience :smile:

Which bike and which spec will depend on your budget, where and how you'll ride it :smile:

shadow master

Most important thing to decide is where you want to ride the bike,if your thinking of doing anything other than pure road riding,don't buy the road bike,it has no off road ability what so ever!The cyclo cross bike may be too similar to what your hybrid can do to warrant buying it.

OP
OP
Cyclecorfu

Cyclecorfu

Regular
I was doing 20 mile plus rides on my hybrid, but aim to do more this year. Mainly on roads, I only want a entry bike, for around £500/700.

zizou

Veteran
Your hybrid will already cover the sort of riding a cx bike has the advantage over a road bike (gravel trails, canal paths etc) so you may as well get a road bike - think of it as free speed :smile:

shadow master

Its the "mainly on roads" bit that's crucial...stick to the road only and 700 buys a lot of road bike and you'd easily manage 35\40 miles,don't think your budget buys much of a cyclo cross bike probably have to get a brand that doesn't actually make bikes

SteCenturion

I am your Father
If it is a road bike you eventually decide on then a 2014 Giant Defy 1 for £674.99 or a 2014 Cube Peloton Race £699.99 with full Shimano 105 are a very good place to start (not at all entry level).

If the budget can stretch to it then a 2014 Cube Agree GTC (carbon + Shimano Tiagra) can still be had for £799.

The 2014 Boardman CX Team also looks a good buy if you prefer disc brakes + wider tyres upto around 28's or 30's.

MikeW-71

Veteran
CX bike for £700:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/revolt.3/19228/77320/#specifications
Versatile thing. I have a "1" model with 28mm slicks on.

Or you'd be looking at something like:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.3/19187/77296/#specifications
for a £700 road bike. (If you're buying brand new and latest models)

The difference in road speed between those two is tiny.

Don't worry about the thin tyres, they have way more grip than you might think. Road bikes are more responsive and you might find them "twitchy" at first, that's because of their geometry and the narrower handlebars.

shadow master

Can get a dolan cx for £700

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-cyclo-cross/cyclo-cross-bikes.html

Also look at edinburgh bike coop CX offerings

IF you are going to be off road, if just on paths etc, you can use a roadbike

Whyte do some for example with 28mm tyres
Can get a dolan cx for £700

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-cyclo-cross/cyclo-cross-bikes.html

Also look at edinburgh bike coop CX offerings

IF you are going to be off road, if just on paths etc, you can use a roadbike

Whyte do some for example with 28mm tyres
7005 aluminium!most actual cycle manufacturers abandoned this alloy years ago for cycle tubing as it is Unsuitable for modern hydroforming,this is another of a company scanning the far east for out of date frames for $10....cube are the masters of this they have even launched a 7005 full suspension 29er for 2015 it beggars belief!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have no idea, decent looking bike, decent spec for the guys budget. Take it up with Terry Dolan :smile:

I like steel most. I choose bikes on looks, ride, and that they offer what I want :smile:

outlash

also available in orange
To put it simply, if it's strictly road you're looking to ride on then go with the road bike, 'mainly' on road look at a bike that can do a little off road like a cyclocross (CX)/gravel/adventure bike. Stick to the bigger brands like Boardman, Cannondale, Giant etc etc you won't go far wrong and at this time of year, last year's models can be found with a very decent discount.

Tony.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've ridden a road bike with 23mm tyres for several years now. Only just got a no.2 with much wider (32?) tyres. The differences I have noticed are:
In slippy riding conditions (greasy bricks on canal towpath, ironworks in the wet, mud, etc) the thinner tyres let go rather quickly, and the thicker ones are a more progressive. Also ride noticeably harder on the thinner tyres.
Performance on the road is largely affected by the wider tyres being on a significantly heavier bike.

Top Bottom