road bike trek 1000?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

utdrd

Have been thinking of buying a road bike and through a friend have the possibility of getting a Trek 1000 sl 54cm for around £350 2nd hand. Apparently the guy who owns it has done less than 500kms on it and says it's in great nick, kept indoors etc. Has no pedals so if wanted clips etc. have to budget for that and shoes. Have little experience of road bikes but am enthusiastic (but don't want to spend a fortune just in case) especially coming into Spring/Summer...any advice chaps?

Sam Kennedy

Have you got any more information on the spec? Groupset? Year? Fork Material? Weight?
Since it is 54cm, I'm guessing you are around 5'6" - 5'8"?

OP
OP
U

utdrd

he sent me on this info. does it sound any good

FramesetSizes54FrameAlpha SL AluminumForkBontrager Approved, carbonWheelsWheelsAlloy hubs; Alex alloy rims w/eyeletsTiresBontrager Select, 700x25cDrivetrainShiftersShimano Sora STI, 8 speedFront DerailleurShimano 2203Rear DerailleurShimano TiagraCrankBontrager Sport 52/42/30CassetteSRAM 850 12-26, 8 speedPedalsAlloy/nylon road w/clips and strapsComponentsSaddleBontrager Race Basic LuxSeat PostBontrager CarbonHandlebarsBontrager Sport, 26.0mmStemBontrager Select, 17 degreeHeadsetAheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealedBrakesetAlloy dual pivot w/Shimano Sora STI levers

here's a pic of it

dont know if it uploaded correctly

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Looks like the 2006 version (i've got the next one up the 1200).

TBH It's a nice enough bike (decent frame), but the spec is getting a bit long in the tooth. 8spd Sora and an alloy fork are not exactly cutting edge kit these days....

I think that for £350 you could do a lot better second hand if you're prepared to hang about and look carefully.

Or if you really dont want to spend much money - drop CyberKnight a message - hes flogging a slightly lower spec bike than the Trek for the grand sum of £90; Have a look see in the clasified section.

Sam Kennedy

My bike is similar spec, but has carbon forks, I would say it is worth closer to £280-£300, since it is quite an old model, and doesn't have carbon forks.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Trek 1.2 2008 which is the same model but newer. It has carbon forks though.

That bike will be excellent. Spec is fine, and it will be easily saleable if you want to or ideal to keep as a winter bike. And if like mine, you can fit mudguards and a rack if needed.

The bad news. I paid £400 for mine NEW (RRP 500). The lack of carbon forks is a big weakness. I would pay about £200 for it. If he Ebays it however it might well go for a good price as people are mugs for secondhand bikes

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The 8 speed sora groupset is now obsolete, it's been replaced by an updated 9 speed model. It's still OK kit, but the selection of cassettes etc will be more limited as time goes on, and upgrading will be more expensive if you do decide to go to 9 speed.

The trouble with buying new is that you don't get much for your cash. Reasonable road bikes priced below £500 are few and far between. I know this cos I've just been trying to get the missus a good first road bike. The Carrera is much the same spec as the one on the "for Sale" boards here for £90.

Some Halfords kit is OK, just check anything that their mechanics do... some of them are chimps. If you must buy new, then consider the Carrera and have a look at Decathlon; their Sport 1 seems to be OK at that price point too.

In both cases you are going to get a decent road bike. It wont be particularly light, the wheels and components will be bottom of the range and it wont be easy to upgrade.......

Having said that, It will still be perfectly rideable and damn good fun - and much, much easier and faster than any mountain bike (on road anyway).

OP
OP
U

utdrd

The guy selling it says the Trek has a carbon fork and that the above specs just taken off trek website for convenience. TBH I wouldn't know the difference. Does the carbon fork make it any more desirable/better value for money or is the guy pulling my leg? :smile:

Top Bottom