Road Bike Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not much, just how they are packaged. Wired non folding tend to be cheaper, less convenient to carry/store?

Some think folding are easier to fit, others find the opposite

I tend to go for folding when on special, just because they are smaller I guess

Better to focus on getting the best tyre for your budget rather than how they come packaged

Thanks for all your replies - do they offer the same protection - whether folding or not?

If you're comparing like for like, then yes, the folding bead tyres offer the same protection as their wired bead counterparts. The biggest advantages to the folding beads ( for me anyway) is that you can carry folding bead tyres with you on a ride, and not look like a 1900's TDF rider. They are easier to get back on the rim, if the puncture fairy comes calling as well.

Tom B

Guru
I just can't do it... Folding tyres just ain't right, can't bring myself to buy them!

. The biggest advantages to the folding beads ( for me anyway) is that you can carry folding bead tyres with you on a ride, and not look like a 1900's TDF rider.

A few months ago I did about 12 miles carrying a couple of wire bead mtb tyres across my shoulders/chest/back... Was bloody hard work.

I was contemplating carrying a new wheel the same distance last week but just couldn't figure out how I'd make it pain free.

Citius

I just can't do it... Folding tyres just ain't right, can't bring myself to buy them!

Folding tyres are lighter, because they replace a wire bead with an aramid bead. In every other respect, they are identical to their non-folding counterparts. Millions of riders routinely ride on folding tyres every day. This really is a non-issue.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Folding tyres are lighter, because they replace a wire bead with an aramid bead. In every other respect, they are identical to their non-folding counterparts. Millions of riders routinely ride on folding tyres every day. This really is a non-issue.

Yea i know, I agree, I sit here and think if they're the tyres I want, I'll get them... I toddle of the the shop and look at the poor bugers crammed in a box and just cant do it and come away with some wire rimmed jobbies.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

A few months ago I did about 12 miles carrying a couple of wire bead mtb tyres across my shoulders/chest/back... Was bloody hard work.

I was contemplating carrying a new wheel the same distance last week but just couldn't figure out how I'd make it pain free.
Dead easy, use a rucksack with a 2 buckle closing system and thread the buckles through the spokes at the 3 and 9 'O' clock positions before snapping them closed. Been carrying wheels to and from my wheelbuilder like that for donkeys years.

Top Bottom