Road bike tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My existing tyres on my Specialized Roubaix are 700x26C. When I look online, they all seem to be 700x25C so would it be ok to fit a 25C ?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My existing tyres on my Specialized Roubaix are 700x26C. When I look online, they all seem to be 700x25C so would it be ok to fit a 25C ?

Yep, or even a 28 for a bit more comfort.

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's the reasonably up to date Roubaix should be fine. That's what I have on mine and I think most of the new bikes come with at least 28's fitted now.

I’m not sure if he has rim or discs, guess the former if it came with 26s?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just see what clearance is like. Some makes come up fatter anyway. If you've got room to the brake bridge and chainstays you'll be OK to go to 28.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed, I’ve just tried a wheel with a 25mm Zaffiro tyre on a bike with minimal clearance to the seat tube with 23mm Rubinos and there’s more space with the 25s. Not sure if it’s the tyre, the wheel or both :laugh:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

I’m not sure if he has rim or discs, guess the former if it came with 26s?

My bike is from 2017 and has disc brakes.

Chislenko

Veteran
Just a footnote and I appreciate it may have been the make / type of tyre as opposed to the width but I put some 28's on mine a couple of weeks back and yes they were a lot more comfortable but boy did I struggle to get any speed up with them.

Put the 25's back on yesterday, been out for a ride this morning and 2mph faster over 32 miles.

I also appreciate other factors may come into play.

the_craig

Über Member
Bike tyres sometimes aren't the size that is printed on the sidewall. I have a pair of 25mm conti gatorskins on my winter bike which measure 24mm whereas 25mm Continental GP4000 II measure 27mm on on the same rim. They are also around 8mm taller from the rim which meant that they rubbed the frame. It's the same on my No.1. I upgraded to 32mm GP5000 STRs and they measure 33mm. But they have around half the rolling resistance of the Gatorskins so it's free speed.

Just a footnote and I appreciate it may have been the make / type of tyre as opposed to the width but I put some 28's on mine a couple of weeks back and yes they were a lot more comfortable but boy did I struggle to get any speed up with them.

Put the 25's back on yesterday, been out for a ride this morning and 2mph faster over 32 miles.

I also appreciate other factors may come into play.

If you want to get geeky about tyre widths and tyre pressures, check out Marginal Gains podcast on your podcast place. They also have blog posts at https://silca.cc/blogs/silca where they explain the science behind tyre pressures and rolling resistance. One snippet was that having too much pressure in your tyres causes increased rolling resistance. To overcome this increased rolling resistance uses the same amount of energy as the energy required to climb an extra 80m over a 100km course.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Looking at Schwalbe Lugano 700x 28 tyres to replace on my Specialized Roubaix. Are they any good as I have never used that make ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking at Schwalbe Lugano 700x 28 tyres to replace on my Specialized Roubaix. Are they any good as I have never used that make ?

They’re not very good in terms of puncture protection, for a budget tyre, I’d go for Rubinos (having come off on a greasy road on almost new Zaffiro pros I wouldn’t have those again, they came on a new to me bike)

Top Bottom