Road bike?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by JM09, 15 Aug 2012.

1. JM09

JM09 New Member

Hi, I am hoping to buy a road bike in a few months time for my 18th but need some help as I have only ever had mountain bikes. I want to ride long distances and would prefer to buy it new from about £250 to £400, any ideas?

Thanks

2. LosingFocus

LosingFocus Lost it, got it again.

*cough*. I'll take this one chaps...

Options:

1. Triban 3 from Decathlon - £300 and good value andf give you the spare money to get other bits you will need or upgrades.
    2. Carrera Virtuoso or TDF from Halfords - about £350 and decent value if set up properly by a good store
    3. Second Hand - for that money you could get a very very nice 1 year old roadie from one of the big names if you are prepared to watch eBay, Gumtree etc. Also there is a wanted and for sale section on here.
    4. Avoid Tesco/ASDA/Sports Direct bikes in the £150-200 price range.

3. accountantpete

accountantpete Legendary Member

Having a read around - that Triban 3 looks great value. The wheels are really heavy so you have a really good upgrade boost when funds allow you to relegate them to Winter/Commuting use and get some decent ones for Summer.

4. OP
    OP
    JM09

JM09 New Member

Thanks! I have had a bike from Decathlon before and they were pretty good to be fair. That Carrera looks decent too

5. Simba

Simba Specialized Allez 24 Rider

You can't go wrong with the Carrera bikes, they are solid entry level roadies.

6. Ian H

Ian H Guru

It might be worth finding a local club and asking advice. There may be some second-hand kit for sale.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice