road frame set with both FM discs and caliper brake mounts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chonker

Veteran
I'm currently trying to work out how to make the switch from caliper mounts to discs. Last year I bought a new group set for my road bike and bought the caliper version because that's the limitation of that frame. Now I'm looking at changing my frame but of course now I'm looking at caliper mounts frames.. which means my next group set would then be caliper...

I'm trying to break the cycle (sorry), what I'm thinking is: If I can get a frame set now that has mounts for both, then later in the year I can just buy shifters and brake calipers and make the switch to discs. From then on I can buy the frameset that I really want.

Ideally I'm looking for a frame that's a reasonably value option (but light, yes I know the contradiction there!), preferably something with mounts for guards so it can one day I can chuck all my old gear at it and it'll be my winter bike. Maybe something with "adventure" bike credentials?

vickster

Legendary Member
Budget?

No idea if such a frameset exists, but Planet X tend to have good value options generally. Maybe phone PX and ask?

Otherwise, sell the existing groupset
...or go with mechanical discs (TRP Spyres are great), get a disc frameset (eg. PX London road is £233 https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONROD/planet-x-london-road-frameset or Full Monty https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXFMSET/planet-x-the-full-monty-alloy-gravel-frameset)
and then you can use what you have other than the brakes

Kind of depends how much cash you have

Or just buy a new bike with disc brakes and sell what you have...may well turn out the most economical option of you can find a good deal on an older model bike

Last edited:
Kinesis racelight 4s has mounts for both disc and calipers, mudguard and rack mounts too. I bought one last year as mmy winter bike. It is not the lightest frameset, but I am pleaed with it.
The version I have is qr, but the new version has 12mm through axles. There are deals to be had on the older design, I got the frame and fork for £350 new.

KQwXE9i.jpg

Top Bottom