Road furniture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
or whatever it's called.

Does anyone know if councils are required by law to use ''approved'' stuff on roads and cycle paths?

I ask because there is a road locally which has been shut off to traffic and left as a cycle lane/ foot path.
To prevent cars from using the road the council have installed what look like driveway pop up lockable posts across the way.

Nothing wrong with that except they are grey in colour, about 20'' high and are not exactly 'stand out' visible. In the grey light of dusk or dawn they are all but invisible. Add to that the undergrowth which hides them all too well at certain times of the year and you have a recipe for broken legs/ankles.

I have written to the council asking if they would alter them for something more obvious with zero response.

Would they be liable if someone were to injure themselves on one of these.

I'll post a pic of them later and you can see why I think they should be altered.

Get a can of white spray and 'de-grey' them!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yes I think the council might well be liable as you have informed them of the possible safety issues. Now "ride" into them at dusk and claim a new pair of wheels :laugh:

That's how the pot hole liability works anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Yes I think the council might well be liable as you have informed them of the possible safety issues. Now "ride" into them at dusk and claim a new pair of wheels :laugh:

That's how the pot hole liability works anyway.

You read my mind............:smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
colly said:
Would they be liable if someone were to injure themselves on one of these.

Yes they would, but many councils seem happy to take the chance that no one will claim.
There was a thread a few days ago of an incident in Hove where a woman is suing after crashing into a pillar planted too near to the side of the cycle path.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Let me know where they are please Colly.

I could do with a new wheelset, and I might as well get Leeds council to pay for em :becool:

ASC1951

Guru
Kestevan said:
I could do with a new wheelset, and I might as well get Leeds council to pay for em :ohmy:
No need to risk the journey over here, Kestevan - I trundled over to Holmfirth via Hade Edge on the fixie yesterday and you can easily find potholes at your end where you could just walk home afterwards.

Even main roads are a hazard these days. What's going to happen when the repair budget is cut 20% so that all the suits still have jobs?

Top Bottom