Road Helmet or None?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Mod message: as above - please stick to the topic of this thread, and don't turn it into another 'helmet debate' of the usual kind!

As I have said it is about community responsibility not your usual safety kind. The op has already been sufficiently answered

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Mod message But doesn't the community responsibility aspect depend on accepting that helmets are beneficial for safety? So this is verging on the standard 'helmet debate' - please leave it there.

montage

God Almighty
Mod message But doesn't the community responsibility aspect depend on accepting that helmets are beneficial for safety? So this is verging on the standard 'helmet debate' - please leave it there.

You have opened up a whole 'nother door to debate then asked for the matter to be shut?

Event organising is stressful, and takes a hell of a lot of effort. Part of that effort is not only rider safety, but in broadening the reach, for example pushing forward women's cycling, creating fun and safe environments for new category races and time triallists. Obviously image of the current scene is a massive part of this - if a bad example is set, guess what happens. Whether or not a helmet increases safety, there is a drive in the organisation scene towards this as we speak, and as you can imagine (illustrated here) is providing some hot discussion. It does not take much effort to derail these efforts. I make my points from somebody who has put on a lot of events, and it is some of the attitudes above which sometimes make it seem like a waste of time. People should just show some bloody responsibility and make lives a tiny bit easier for those providing the groundwork for the hobby you love and enjoy. If you are not the one pushing the paperwork over some kid's cracked skull it is easy to be an internet warrior on the matter.

I'm done here - my point has been made, Hacienda comes across as intelligent enough to make his own decision on the matter given the information on performance and "other" matters discussed.

montage

God Almighty
With respect to the modding and the OP, I shall continue any conversations regarding the relevance of this thread (and internet heroes such as above wanting to flex) via PM.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
A naked shaved head is worth about 30 seconds over a 10m TT.

A cycling buddy back in the 70's had a 'Kevin Keegan' type perm hairdo. He reckoned this put 20 secs on his 10 time so he had a skinsuit specially made that had a hood. When he pulled it over his head it crushed the perm closely to his skull, effectively making him bald. It also made him look a right t**t but he was convinced he was a lot faster wearing it.

Cycling cap worn backwards looks the biz - not sure if it makes you any quicker tho.

Hi,
I would say from experience that a good TT helmet DOES improve times compared to a normal road helmet. However, if I were racing against say Matt Bottrill wearing a road helmet and me in a TT helmet, I think I'd know who'd win. Matt..... everytime. What I'm trying to say is this. It's not down to the helmet. It's down to the rider, and your training. You could get another 30seconds off just by training without buying a TT helmet. Also, weather conditions affect your time. And you're bike fit. Do you use aero bars? They do make a big difference but only if you've got them and yourself set up correctly. Just putting on a set of clip-ons may not be the answer if you're not positioned correctly. It's the combination of a lot of things that will improve your time and get that long 23 you're after.

To answer the original question; "I was just trying to gauge the difference between with road helmet or without.
I am trying to get a long 23 in on my road bike before any additional expense on TT specific kit. I am riding 24's now so am getting close, just looking for some cheap aero advantage.
" I'd say this..... If you are getting 24's without TT specific I'd just consider tweaking your training to specifically achieving your TT aim. If you wanted to buy some TT kit, maybe start with clip-on aero bars. A TT helmet will improve your time but you'll need to get one that suits you so ask around and try some on before buying. Other things to consider are a skinsuit and overshoes/oversocks. Obviously, the type of bike you ride will have an effect on your time too.

Good luck and I hope you achieve your goal of a 23.

Acesand8s

Regular
Depends on head possition. Head down, no-healmet wins, it is stupid, but faster with a cap. Head-up, an aero helmet with a longer tail wins, but is no longer allowed, as is not actually safe and negates the safety idea of having a helmet.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depends on head possition. Head down, no-healmet wins, it is stupid, but faster with a cap. Head-up, an aero helmet with a longer tail wins, but is no longer allowed, as is not actually safe and negates the safety idea of having a helmet.

What are you on about long tail no longer allowed? You can wear whatever the hell you want unless special conditions are stated prior to entry.

FWIW, I use a Bell Javelin on straight or fast courses where I can keep my head still and my speed high. I use a Kask Bambino when it is technical, hilly or very cross windy.

I used to use a Giro Selector in all conditions but gave up on the crappy fitting mechanism.

Oh I also have an LG Course aero road helmet for very hot conditions, long hill climbs and also as a backup in long distance TT's incase the aero lid gets too much.

Acesand8s

Regular
Well it depends what race i guess. And how long.
What are you on about long tail no longer allowed? You can wear whatever the hell you want unless special conditions are stated prior to entry.

FWIW, I use a Bell Javelin on straight or fast courses where I can keep my head still and my speed high. I use a Kask Bambino when it is technical, hilly or very cross windy.

I used to use a Giro Selector in all conditions but gave up on the crappy fitting mechanism.

Oh I also have an LG Course aero road helmet for very hot conditions, long hill climbs and also as a backup in long distance TT's incase the aero lid gets too much.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
At the tt I was at last night a guy had forgotten his aero helmet, so he cling-filmed his regular helmet. I suppose it's marginal gains...

Top Bottom