Road Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fireypop

I am in the process of buying a new helmet (road), my budget is £70. I want something not too bulky with good ventilation. Any help would be appreciated.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I am in the process of buying a new helmet (road), my budget is £70. I want something not too bulky with good ventilation. Any help would be appreciated.

Well it needs to fit your head.... In short you have to go try a number of them on at as many LBS as possible, at least til you find a brand that suits your head shape. Whether you then buy online is up to you.

They are all sold to the same safety standard in Europe... sadly a very inferior one. You may want to look at US sites to see if your model is also certified to the better Snell standards used in States

gavintc

Guru
I completely agree with trying them on. We all have weird shaped heads and helmets are very head specific. Some manufacturers just do not fit me, and others fit like a glove. Try a few on, but you will need to get around a few LBS as they typically only stock one brand.

Well it needs to fit your head.... In short you have to go try a number of them on at as many LBS as possible, at least til you find a brand that suits your head shape. Whether you then buy online is up to you.

They are all sold to the same safety standard in Europe... sadly a very inferior one. You may want to look at US sites to see if your model is also certified to the better Snell standards used in States

Sadly most US helmets now follow the newer and inferior CPSC rather than the Snell B-95 standard.

Here's link to more information than anyone needs on all the standards

standards

Apologies for the source, BHSI, some good basic info, but I don't like their agenda or message.

OP
OP
F

Fireypop

Thanks v much for advice, the last helmet was a boardman road helmet which i bought through the cycle to work scheme. It was the best halfords had but never really felt 100% comfortable so your advice of trying a few on seems the way forward. Thanks again.

Top Bottom