Road pedal / cleat choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barongreenback

Über Member
Having bought my lovely new Secteur Sport (and my, is it lovely), I'd like to add some road pedals to the bike. As a temporary measure I picked up some A-520 pedals to go with my mtb shoes that I use for commuting on my hybrid but I'd like to go for the full road set up. After about 20 miles I get heat/soreness in the balls of my feet so I'm hoping a stiff sole/wide cleat/platform will help.

My only caveat is that I've had knee problems in the past caused by running so something with a decent degree of float would be good.

Any particular recommendations? Thanks.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider

lejogger

Guru
Look cleats come with a variable amount of float:

Black - None (avoid)
Grey - 4.5 degrees angular float
Red - 9 degrees angular float.

I find the grey fine with Look Keo 2 Max pedals and have had many knee problems (in the past - not caused by these pedals). They have a pretty large surface area which should help with feet problems and the composite versions are pretty reasonably priced if you shop around.

lejogger

Guru
Fair enough, I conceed the R1s only go to a 47 flipper - Look cleats are still compatible with Shimano shoes though

Turtle Dude

I use Speedplay Zeros specifically for the large float and my bad knees, after getting doctor and physio advice - work brilliantly.

OP
OP
barongreenback

barongreenback

Über Member
Thanks again for all the recommendations. Looking at the list I decided to go for the Speedplay and having ridden on them for the first time yesterday, they are absolutely brilliant. A little stiffer than I'm used to in terms of clipping in and unclipping but I really feel connected to the bike and the lack of spring tensioning bringing my foot back to a set position feels very comfortable, if a little odd at first. Definitely expensive (well, cheaper when you know someone in the trade ;) ) but worth the extra pounds.

Top Bottom