Road rim brake calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking to replace my 2nd hand XLC rim brake calipers because they perform very poorly and the clamp has stopped clamping the wire properly.

Now there seem to be plenty of posters on here who say that modern rim brakes are just as good as disk - so what's the minimum I can spend to get some of these 'modern rim brakes'? 105 5800's seem to be about £50 is that the minimum or are there older/lower in the Shimano heirachy brakes that are also 'as good as disk brakes'?

S-Express

Expecting them to be 'as good as discs' is a bit optimistic and not necessarily relevant. But 105 or even Tiagra will both offer adequate stopping...

OP
OP
amasidlover
Any thoughts on vintage - 105 - 1050/1055s can be had reasonably cheaply on ebay - or would it be better to buy modern Sora than old 105? Also it looks to me like 105 5800 / Ultegra 6800 etc. have a different pivot system to Tiagra 4700 (and older 105 brakes) - does this make no/little difference?

broady

Veteran
My 6800 brakes are far better than BB5 brakes (in the wet and dry!) And I think they are better than BB7's in the dry.
Hydro disc brakes are great though

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My 6800 brakes are far better than BB5 brakes (in the wet and dry!) And I think they are better than BB7's in the dry.
Hydro disc brakes are great though
Suspect setup with the Avids is not all as it should be. Rarely is if fitted as oem kit.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I swapped out my old Tektro brakes for 105 5800's from ebay, cost about £30 inc P+P. The seller hadn't bothered to clean them up so they looked dire in the pictures, but with a bit of effort and some WD40 they were like brand new ... bargain. They stop an awful lot better than the Tektro's, but not quite as good as the Ultegra's on the other bike, guess it's to do with pull ratio's or something (I'm using them with Sora brake levers).

OP
OP
amasidlover
Interesting; so it sounds like the dual pivot design is where there is a noticeable change in performance - will spend some time on ebay!

wonderloaf

Veteran
Just in case the OP or anyone else is interested Planet X are having yet another sale, they have 105 5800 front & back brake calipers going at £19.99 + p&p each, which I think is a good price.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I think I have a pair of Tiagra on an old frame in my garage in a metallic grey if that is of interest? I would need to check they were ok as I haven't used them for a couple of years.

OP
OP
amasidlover
Thanks both unfortunately I ordered some SRAM Apex calipers yesterday (for £34.99) after being unable to find 105 5800 / Ultegra 6800 for less than £50 new or second hand...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Thanks both unfortunately I ordered some SRAM Apex calipers yesterday (for £34.99) after being unable to find 105 5800 / Ultegra 6800 for less than £50 new or second hand...
I have a pair of Sram Apex on one of my bikes. Good brakes and come with excellent Swissstop brake blocks as standard. :okay:

Top Bottom