Road routes in Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bloodaxe

Hello all
Up until now, I have just been riding my mountain bike, but want to get fitter and crank out some miles on the road with a road bike. Does anyone know a good (relatively) safe route from Rayleigh to Basildon?
Thanks

My commute includes the A127 "cycle path" from the Weir to the Fortune of War and it's not particularly roadbike friendly.

If it's a direct (i.e. minimum tolerable commute) route then you could join the 127 from the Weir to the little path that splits off to the left and turns into Harrow Road. That's about a mile of A127 cycle path, then Harrow Road and in through the back of the residential side of Burnt Mills, coming out by The Watermill.

If it's a more pleasant, longer ride then up over the top, down Hambro Hill ->Hullbridge Road -> Watery Lane -> Battlesbridge -> Runwell -> Wickford towards Crays Hill / Billericay then choose to cross the A127 at whatever point serves best for where you need to be in Basildon.

Basildon itself is relatively cycle-friendly - just that some of the surfaces are terribad and you have to make your own ASLs.

If it's just a hunt for a nice route starting in Rayleigh, then I'd head for Battlesbridge and go north!

OP
OP
B

Bloodaxe

Thanks specialeyes
It was just for a ride, not to go anywhere in particular. I like the idea of going through wickford, I think that would be the best bet!
If you have any other ride routes for a newbie, let me know!
Thanks

I'm from Brentwood but haven't lived there for years (although the routes are still the same, I suspect).

Riding around Stock, Ingatestone, Blackmore, Writtle, Chelmsford, Great Baddow, the Hanningfields etc. (go into google maps and make a loop for yourself) always used to make for enjoyable cycling back in the day. Not too hilly (yeah, I know, Essex is flat) but the countryside should be lovely this time of year, although I don't know about the state of the roads or the quality, or lack of, of driving there now.

Top Bottom