Road shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike-6424

Can anyone help I got talked into buying a road bike and I want to know what road shoes to buy my price range is between £60-£70 also what pedals to get for them.
Your help would be mostly appreciated thanks

Mike

Hello and welcome.

Firstly you dont need to go clipless you could always ride normal pedals with trainers.

But if its clipless you want, then you have a few choices.

SPD pedals, with shoes that will take an SPD cleat

SPD SL pedals again with the appropriate shoe and cleat.

Look pedals, with the right shoe and cleat.

There are probably other choices, but these are the ones im aware of. Prices will vary greatly from around £20 - £250 for shoes and pedals will be in the region of £25- £120. Its personnel preference to be honest and budget of course.

If your a novice, I would suggest popping along to a good LBS to seek advice and see whats available.

I use two different types of shoe/pedal combination. But on my road bike I prefer SL pedals with SPD SL shoes/cleats. The combined price for my pedals and shoes was around £160 (internet prices).

OP
OP
Mike-6424

Mike-6424

Thanks for your help I might pop into a branch of Evans or decathlon and get some advice at least I could try some on and see how I go the price seems reasonable from looking on the Internet.

Cheers

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
welcome.

my stock advice when buying clipless… if you're riding 50 miles and walking from bike to café, get look/spd sl which are better for riding (stiffer, better for putting all your leg power through to the pedals). if you're going to be on and off the bike or combining a ride with sightseeing or for utility cycling or touring, get spds which have a recessed cleat that makes the shoes easy to walk in.

OP
OP
Mike-6424

Mike-6424

Thanks for the advice I'm looking to get fit through cycling so I'll have to build myself up for long distance riding at the moment.
Thanks again

addictfreak is right, you don't need to go clipless (I did and love it) but I have been given a set of Crank Brothers Candy 1s which were an unwanted gift and may put them on my MTB. The thing is, I like the flat pedals my Boardman came with. I have never 'slipped off' them and worry a little about getting caught out in a dangerous situation while clipped. I quite like the four-way entry idea of the Candys though.

Bill

buggi

Bird Saviour
mate, if you go on www.wiggle.co.uk you can get some of these shoes for onlyl £40 (see links below). i have two pair and they are well, comfy. loads of my mates have got a pair as well, and love them. They are great for a first cycle shoe (and for your subsequent pairs for that matter)

road shoe needs these type of cleats for this type of pedal (will also take Look cleats for Look pedals)

mtb shoe needs this type of cleat for this type of pedal

the pros and cons are

road :
pro - slimline pedal, slimline shoes that come in nice colours.
Con - cleats get wrecked when walking because they are not recessed and pedal is one sided, so can be harder to clip in.

mtb:
pro - double sided pedal so easier to clip in, cleat is recessed into sole of shoes so will last 100 times longer (had mine for 4 years):
con - shoes come in dark colours (because of nature of sport), pedal is not as streamlined (but who can tell when your foot is on??? and they've started to do streamline versions but these are more expensive and they only do the same job)

i use mtb ones on my road bike and my cyclo cross bike. they look fine. and my cleats have never needed replacing. if you do go for road shoes, you can buy cleat covers for when you need to walk but those shoes are harder to walk in too.

buggi

Bird Saviour
ps. as you can see there is not much difference in the design of the shoe other than the tread on the bottom and i've got both road and mtb shoes and you can hardly tell which is which. the mtb shoe is still streamlined.

OP
OP
Mike-6424

Mike-6424

Thanks everyone for being so helpful your advice will help me in getting started out on the road
Thnks again

Top Bottom