Road SPD's Vs MTB SPD's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Generally will the road SPD hold the shoe in tighter than a MTB one? Or would they tighten to the same amount if required i.e. does the road version require more force to remove foot?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's all dependent on how much you tighten the pedals.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Ok, so it has nothing to do with the pedals, more to do with how much you tighten each pedal. That answer my question thanks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There are 2 different types of SPD cleat though, the 51 which are 'twist out' and the 56 which are 'multi release' (pulling upwards allows you to disengage as well as 'twist out' release)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have...this morning...taken delivery of some road SPD pedals.

I've always ridden with MTB...on the road bike and the MTB but the almost constant creaking and the regular numb toes has driven me to move to try a different style.

the cleats look very complicated, I shall have to learn how to clip in all over again!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have...this morning...taken delivery of some road SPD pedals.

I've always ridden with MTB...on the road bike and the MTB but the almost constant creaking and the regular numb toes has driven me to move to try a different style.

the cleats look very complicated, I shall have to learn how to clip in all over again!!
Are they SPD or SPD-SL

vickster

Legendary Member
You can also get shimano light release SPD-SL pedals

Personally I use SPD and don't get on with the multidirectional cleats

For me it's the ease of clipping in that's important as much as clipping out. For that reason I won't touch SPD-SL and ride on dual sided m520 pedals (mostly)

Generally will the road SPD hold the shoe in tighter than a MTB one? Or would they tighten to the same amount if required i.e. does the road version require more force to remove foot?

It's not so much how tight the pedal is, more how much float a pedal has. Float is the amount of lateral movement a cleat can move in a pedal before the cleat disengages. As mentioned this can be adjusted on the pedal. You can make it so there is zero float but bear in mind this could impact you ankles/knees if where your foot is not seated in it's natural position when pedalling.

I like many others from experience prefer to have some float to allow your ankle/knee to move through the pedal stroke thus reducing any strains that may come about. For reference I use Speedplay pedals, their free float system is very nice.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I have 'Shimano PD-M520 Pedal' with multi directional release. They are ok, but I find that when I am going for it I can twist myself out of the pedal, it's probably my bad technique rather than the pedals.

With your pedals do you have special shoes?

It's not so much how tight the pedal is, more how much float a pedal has. Float is the amount of lateral movement a cleat can move in a pedal before the cleat disengages. As mentioned this can be adjusted on the pedal. You can make it so there is zero float but bear in mind this could impact you ankles/knees if where your foot is not seated in it's natural position when pedalling.

I like many others from experience prefer to have some float to allow your ankle/knee to move through the pedal stroke thus reducing any strains that may come about. For reference I use Speedplay pedals, their free float system is very nice.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Its pretty much the same mechanism in a 'road' SPD pedal e.g A520, as in an 'MTB' SPD pedal. Do you want to compare SPD (2 bolt small cleat) pedals with SPD/SL or Look style (3 bolt larger cleat ) pedals? You can tighten/loosen the release on both sorts.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
^^^^^^+1 on the 51 cleats, just back the tension off on the pedal when you first fit new ones as they may be tight at first and you can always up the tension later but that may avoid a 'clipless' moment situation (99% of the time these are harmless just embarrassing but sometimes they can really hurt DAMHIKT.)

I have 'Shimano PD-M520 Pedal' with multi directional release. They are ok, but I find that when I am going for it I can twist myself out of the pedal, it's probably my bad technique rather than the pedals.

With your pedals do you have special shoes?

Yes, carbon Sidis. Comfortable and functional.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
when using mtb cleats and shoes you can still get decent grip on the pedal even if you haven't clipped in as the soled are usually rubber.

with spd-sl the shoes are smooth and slippery, so if you miss clipping in and end up with the pedal under the arch of your foot then try to stand up and power away, such as if you stop at a junction, you foot will slip off, plums may meet the crossbar and drives may laugh.

ask me how I know this.

Top Bottom