Road SPD's Vs MTB SPD's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I used to use MTB SPD. Really liked them up until the point where I developed terrible knee pain. Went to countless doctor and hospital appointments about it with no joy. After many months I decided to change to SPD-SL pedals and within 2 weeks my knee felt fine again and has been fine since. Coincidence maybe but I definitely prefer the SL pedals and to me there seems to be more of a platform for my feet which makes me feel more secure in the pedal

zigzag

Veteran
my preference is spd-sl's as they feel nicer and almost as easy to clip in as spd's. i rode very long distances in both and would choose road style pedals for most cases (unless there's lots of walking on gravel involved).
the best thing i like about spd-sl pedals is a solid connection to the shoe with the red zero float cleats; there is always some movement (which most riders don't mind) with spd's no matter how much you tighten them..

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
my preference is spd-sl's as they feel nicer and almost as easy to clip in as spd's. i rode very long distances in both and would choose road style pedals for most cases (unless there's lots of walking on gravel involved).
the best thing i like about spd-sl pedals is a solid connection to the shoe with the red zero float cleats; there is always some movement (which most riders don't mind) with spd's no matter how much you tighten them..

I use both. SPD for touring and randonnees; SPD-SL for racing. The reason is so I can use touring/mtb shoes for the former. But they're all single-sided.

Top Bottom