Road to Gravel Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mirobertson

Regular
Hi everyone.

I have a road bike which is no longer used and I had a thought about changing it to be a gravel bike…assuming this is possible of course! Does anyone have any recommendations for not too expensive gravel wheels and tyres? I think the bike would take tyres between 32mm and 35mm wide…though it might be a process of trial and error to make sure there is sufficient clearance.

Am I correct in thinking that if I stick with 28 tyres (gravel ones) I could use the existing wheel which have 28 road tyres on currently?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Why not try some 28mm gravel tyres on your existing rims and see if you can do the rides you have in mind?

I'm using Schwalbe G Ones at present.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It begs the question why you just bought a new road bike, you could have bought a new gravel bike, although I guess if you mainly ride road, then that was perhaps priority for a new stead.

Your road rims will accommodate a say 33mm CX / gravel tyre. provided they are not mega lightweight ultra low spoke count wheels, they will be just find for "gravel" riding, half of which tends to be on road anyway linking up suitable offroad sections.

I cant seem to find these in a 28mm width.

go wider than 28mm, if its disc brakes then it will take 33mm anyway. if its rim braked then your farked.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member

that's the slick road tyre version, the semi slicks, SK etc start at 32mm

vickster

Legendary Member
that's the slick road tyre version, the semi slicks, SK etc start at 32mm

Does say can be used off road in description. Ditto from the horses mouth…

https://www.panaracerusa.com/products/gravelking-slick-folding-gravel-tires
If he’s got something like a rim brake Defy from memory, 32s won’t fit.

according to the Sigma link there’s a 26mm SK although they don’t have stock. They are available though, eg
from end of month
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/panaracer_gravel_king_sk_tubeless_compatible_folding_tyre-ID_67023?

or now from SJS
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-l...g-sk-folding-tyre-black-black-700-x-26-26622/

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Really depends on your definition of gravel from smooth forestry commission stuff you could do on a shopper bike, and more gnarly chunkier gravel. Existing wheels will be fine provided enough spokes.

Lee_M

Guru
It begs the question why you just bought a new road bike, you could have bought a new gravel bike, although I guess if you mainly ride road, then that was perhaps priority for a new stead.

Your road rims will accommodate a say 33mm CX / gravel tyre. provided they are not mega lightweight ultra low spoke count wheels, they will be just find for "gravel" riding, half of which tends to be on road anyway linking up suitable offroad sections.

go wider than 28mm, if its disc brakes then it will take 33mm anyway. if its rim braked then your farked.

Really?
I have a synapse disc and can only get 30mm tyres before they foul on the seat stays

OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular

Well I do much more road cycling and my old road bike was a bit rubbish. It was just a starter bike. Heavy with not great shifters. But I thought if I could repurpose the old bike it would be a bonus! The bike has disc brakes so thanks for the advice. Maybe finding a decent 33mm gravel tyre is the way to go. I suspect 35mm will be too wide.

Top Bottom