Road Tubeless Tips **update re leak**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm sorry you're confused. Had I asked for people to list what their perceived pros and cons of riding tubeless were I would be able to understand your confusion.

As it is, I asked them to "identify the one pro that swings it for you" which is a different question.
I think that looking for just one pro is very short sighted, but seeing as you asked - not having to fix the majority of punctures.

I think that looking for just one pro is very short sighted, but seeing as you asked - not having to fix the majority of punctures.

Thankyou.

I'll buy some glasses for the shortsightedness. :tongue:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's interesting actually, because I've built a couple of sets of wheels up with Pacenti SL25 and Forza rims which are also tubeless ready.

I've previously mentioned how few punctures I seem to suffer, but the most recent one I had was in May last year, 30 miles into a 1000 mile LEJOG which is typical. I also noticed how difficult it was to release the tyre bead from the rim and was glad that I carry a pair of gloves to protect my fingers when wrestling with tyres.

In the house, I found bearing down on the sidewall with the wooden end of a hammer did the trick.

In the field, that's no so easy if there's no hard surface to rest the wheel on, such as happened when I had a puncture on cinder track.

My last puncture was on the road, which was hard enough for bead shifting by standing on the tyre wall.

It was also hard enough to scuff the black finish to the rims.

All in all, something of a nonsense so it had to be tubeless.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Hello all.

I'm fairly mechanically minded (build up my own bikes and wheels) but I've never fitted or used a tubeless tyre. I have read and watched plenty and generally know what to do.

More out of interest I've ordered some Hutchinson Fusion 5 11storm tyres due to what seems to be universally good reviews.

Any general day to day tips you learnt which yoy wish you knew from the start?

***update*****
Installation was very easy and completed 3 days ago. They have not been used yet but the rear is losing around 40 psi over 24hr. The front about 5.

I expected some loss at first until I rode them and the sealant circulated more but am surprised at that rate.

The tyre and valve is secured and I've put both wheels in a bath to look for leaks. The bubbles form on the sidewall so (a lot lot more in the rear) so the air is escaping through the walls and not the rim interface.

I added 60ml sealant per wheel. Is it normal to have to add more or do I just need to ride them to get the sealant circulated around the inside of the tyre?

Just attempted tubeless bought a set of Gravel Kings to fit to my Hunt wheels. have to say a complete ball ache. Will try again today but I don`t have compressor ( really need something ) . Put inner tubes in the tyres and rode them today on the commute, so hoping that will form and shape the tyre more, so it will fit snug on the rim.

Off to buy more sealant :tongue:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok maybe lucky but managed to get them sorted tonight. Using the inner tubes helped shape them to fill the bead of the rim. Dropped some sealant in and refitted bead. Quick swoosh round and then quick blasting with the track pump and Bobs your Auntie ;-)

Just attempted tubeless bought a set of Gravel Kings to fit to my Hunt wheels. have to say a complete ball ache. Will try again today but I don`t have compressor ( really need something ) . Put inner tubes in the tyres and rode them today on the commute, so hoping that will form and shape the tyre more, so it will fit snug on the rim.

Off to buy more sealant :tongue:

Use a blast of co2 to seat the bead BEFORE adding sealant to the tyre. Then deflate and use a pump to reinflate. The bead should stay tight.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
CO2 or compressor would have made no difference as the tyres being new were not shaped properly and filling out the rim. Anyway running inner tubes in them worked a treat both front and back sealed no bother after that. Just with a track pump !

However got to do it all again on the rear as I`ve a bust spoke !! :tongue:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I`ve a bust spoke !!
Can't you just leave the nipple in place and replace the spoke?

lane

Veteran
My GP5000 have seen about 1000 miles now of mixed terrain including a fair bit of rough tracks and problem free so far. I really like them. Going to top up the sealent today as about 3 months since they went on.

Top Bottom