Road tyre advice ..pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Losidan

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a good road tyre to buy in say a 700c x 23 or 25mm size that offers good puncture protection for the heavier rider?

Thanks
Dan

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
What makes me think you are opening a can of worms with this question?

What are you intending to do with the tyres? Train, race, fitness? What sort of roads are you riding? Good tarmac, loose gravel and flints?

redjedi

Über Member
see my post just below this (or above)

I've just gone for the Michelin Krylion Carbon tyres. There's loads of really good reviews around and they are apparently very P******** resistant.

They are quite tricky to find though. There's a few on Ebay, or Ribble claim to have stock (mine have yet to be despatched though)

Tynan

Veteran
how heavy?

tyres aren't affected by weight, wheels neither unless you're bloody huge

puncture protection means slow, broadly speaking

OP
OP
L

Losidan

both the mentioned michelins and conti's look cool. I will be riding on good tarmac roads exclusively, for fitness and a bit of "time trialling"...by that I mean a timed ten mile ride every saturday AM on a good flattish road or alternate weeks to the timed ten mile XC mtb ride I already do.

What do you think to Michelin Speedium's

Much appreciate the comments...more welcome:smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Losidan said:
both the mentioned michelins and conti's look cool. I will be riding on good tarmac roads exclusively, for fitness and a bit of "time trialling"...by that I mean a timed ten mile ride every saturday AM on a good flattish road or alternate weeks to the timed ten mile XC mtb ride I already do.

What do you think to Michelin Speedium's

Much appreciate the comments...more welcome:smile:

Don't waste your cash.

I have Krylions Carbons on my winter wheels, they're OK but they're not the most exciting tyre on the planet, worthy but dullish, not great in the wet... but the yacf audaxy boys seem to love em!

Pro Race 3 although more expensive are in a different league IMO in terms of speed, grip, comfort, handling. Maybe not as durable, but an absolute pleasure to ride. Worth every penny.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Put 25mm Gatorskins on mine at the weekend and I like them so far :smile:

SD

Waspie

Über Member
I've got Schwalbe Stelvios on my 'good' bike and in my experience they seem to have good puncture protection as well as decent grip and rolling resistance. Not the cheapest though.

I wasn't very impressed with Conti Gatorskins, seemed to wear pretty quickly and were a bit sketchy in the wet. Know a few people who use them though and they seem to like them.

Ademort

Micheli krylion carbon 25mm are almost bombproof and a super tyre to ride, would def suit the heavier rider and have a very long life. Michelin Prorace 3 are a racing tyre excellent for racing, nowhere near as puncture resistant as the Krylions and much shorter lifespan. I use Krylions on my workbike and ContiGP4000S on my good bike.
Ademort

Top Bottom