Road Tyre Profile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Do different road tyres have different profiles as in total external circumference, or are they all the same. Clearly the inner circumference has to be the same to fit the rim but can you get what a car driver would call low profile tyres? I have Hutchinson kevlar jobies on at the moment, not the most glamorous of tyres but they are great at avoiding punctures. However I have only two or three mm clearance on the front fork so no mudguards apart from race blades currently fit. If I could loose say two or three mm i might be able to squeeze in some crud racers.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
In theory, all tyres of the same size denomination are the same dimensions, but in practice, manufacturers' tyre do vary slightly. This used to be more pronounced a few years back but the differences are so small now as to be almost undetectable.

You don't say what size tyres you are using at present, but you may be able to find a tyre a millimetre or two smaller.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
In theory, all tyres of the same size denomination are the same dimensions, but in practice, manufacturers' tyre do vary slightly. This used to be more pronounced a few years back but the differences are so small now as to be almost undetectable.

You don't say what size tyres you are using at present, but you may be able to find a tyre a millimetre or two smaller.

I'm using 700x23 HUTCHINSON Kevlar tyres.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Generally/roughly speaking, the wider the tyre the higher (from the edge of the rim) it will be too. This is why one has to enter tyre size on bike computer to get an approximate wheel (including tyre) radius/diameter for speed/distance calculation.
Just for reference (since whether this specific tyre is any good for you depends on your rim and your requirements etc.), when my Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x20c is pumped up to 120psi on my rim (with inner rim width of 14.5mm), the profile is 20.5mm wide and only 18mm high (from the edge of the rim).

Top Bottom