Road UK 24 - Newcastle to London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
another dumb idea from our favourite outfit. You're tired. You can't think straight. What kind of roads would you like to travel over to finish your long ride? My guess is...........not those going through North London. Turn the thing around, leave HPC at midnight and head north and you've got yourself a party........

This sounds like an ultra-fnrttc, Dellzeqq... Of course, it would be Whitley Bay/South Shields for the finish surely?

I quite like the sound of it...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Only just seen this (after spotting the equivalent thread on the other place). I can only agree with the points others have made RE preparation for something like this, and 'this' not being the right thing to go for. The self-financing option is £300! That's twelve decent sportives (or lots more audaxes!). And nothing I've heard about this mob inspires me with any confidence.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Only just seen this (after spotting the equivalent thread on the other place). I can only agree with the points others have made RE preparation for something like this, and 'this' not being the right thing to go for. The self-financing option is £300! That's twelve decent sportives (or lots more audaxes!). And nothing I've heard about this mob inspires me with any confidence.
I've had a look at the links some of the others have put on this topic and tend to agree. I'm pretty new to the world of sportives and audaxes which was why I asked. Can't argue with the experiences of others.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Essentially I'm just trying to find out if anyone out there has made the transformation from 100 mile monkey to 300 miles. If they have then how did they train for it and what challenges did they face increasing the distance. Whether they've ridden 24 continuous hours including an overnight and what ups and downs the experienced over that period.

Would like to get as much information as possible about what I might be letting myself in for though and the best way to do that is to ask for others experiences.

Ah... You sound like me. Only I was trying to go from 10 miles to 900 :smile:

If you fancy a fair bit of text, you can read about my experiences of the ride in a long thread on these very forums (see here, and note that the write up starts just after the picture of the earth on page 4), or for added seasonal cheer, buy the book it spawned on amazon. The book starts about 5 months before the ride kicks off, and gives an idea of the training I took in.

Lots to be discovered. Many adventures to be had.

Andy.

Tariq Elkashef

Hi All - just came across this discussion. I work for Action Challenge - the organisers of the RideUK 24 series - and just thought I'd respond to a couple of the points raised.

We've been organising cycling events since '97 - all over the world and the feedback receive from both novices and serious cyclists is overwhelmingly positive. Yes we are a company so ideally like to make a profit but mainly we're a group of passionate, well travelled outdoor enthusiasts trying to make a living doing what we love. Although, granted we're always learning, over the years we've organised everything from easy mountain bike ride across Africa to challenging road biking events here in the UK for hundreds of people.

We've organised the Scope London to Paris 24 event for the past 3 years which has been so successful we created the two new rides (Manchester2London24 & Newcastle2London24) to continue that theme. There are cheaper rides out there, but these represent good value for money and are very heavily supported in terms of staffing, medics, doctors, ambulances, food & nutrition, experienced pace riders, vehicle, rest stops, bike transportation and so on. It's certainly appreciated by many who don't do this sort of thing all the time.

If 250-300miles is bread and butter stuff to you we'd love to hear from you as a potential pace rider actually. There is more information on the link below but we're actively seeking hardened cyclist to support and motivate others on route. In exchange for your time and efforts you'll get a free place on the event. Anyway for more info please see below:

http://tinyurl.com/d6hdw2g

Thanks and have a great Christmas everyone!

Top Bottom