Road wheels on a mountain bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
Okay so I have read somewhere that you can put road tyers on a mountain bike, I was wondering how much it was worth and how much does it make a different to the general ride?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Well you should have better grip, less rolling resistance and so should go alot faster.
I would think that it would be worth putting them on you bike.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Yeah, like I have mentioned before, I am getting a road bike, but I'll more than likley keep my mountain bike for those really bad days.

Jonathan M

Slicks on an MTB mean it is faster, but more likely to run out of gears, spinning out 42:11 quite easily.

There were some 700c disc compatable wheels on ebay recently, some MTB's can take 700c wheel rims & tyres in lieu of 26inch MTB rims & tyres, but only if disc brake equipped.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
ALL mtbs will take a 700cc wheel.
BUT you need to be aware of the OLN measurement of the rear axle. 130mm is standard for road, and 135mm being standard for MTB.
also need to be aware of braking. Discs hubs will be fine, but Rim brakes don't work, although you can get an adaptor from Mavic or some rather nice looking brakes from pauls components that do.

As for putting slicks on 26" wheels, then folk have been doing it for years :biggrin:

stevenb

Aye, I have a set of slick Schwalbe tyres on my Mavic XM117 rims which I use for road use and my Bontrager Jones ACX on WTB XC dual duty rims for off road use.
The Mavic XM117 Rims are built on Non-disc deore hubs and were handbuilt by Merlin cycles for a special price of £50 the pair...so I got them to bung a new deore cassette on them too....sorted.

col

Legendary Member
Iv had slicks on my mountain bike almost since i got it,big difference,and no humming noise either.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Thanks for your help guys!

Anyone got any suggestions of any good, all weather(ish) tyres that are going to last me a while?

stevenb

Continental do a good range...Schwalbe do too.
Have a look on Chain Reaction Cycles and then you can compare prices and read feedback reviews. :biggrin:
You can get a tyre for any budget nowadays.

bonj said:
schwalbe are a bit shite tbh. Get conti maxxis or nokian.

I disagree. Some of the best tyres I've ever used have been made by Schwalbe. They're probably worth a look - especially if you're in the market for a more 'bombproof' option (Marathon range).

S

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Thanks for your help guys.

It needs definatly to be some tyres that are going to last, and properly will withstand a bit of rough and tough.

bonj2

walker said:
Would a full Sus MTB beable to go on road wheels? Surely they would buckle under the weight?

er... no, there's probably a lot less than 10kg difference between a full-sus bike and a road bike, compare that to the average rider weight of 80kg...

bonj2

simon_adams_uk said:
I disagree. Some of the best tyres I've ever used have been made by Schwalbe. They're probably worth a look - especially if you're in the market for a more 'bombproof' option (Marathon range).

S

I had a schwalbe albert on my back wheel and it kept causing puncture after puncture, had a closer look and found it had warped. The one on the front's still ok though.

Top Bottom