roadbike tires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shane-oregon

How careful do i need to be while rideing? Potholes? rocks? curbs r a no no? They look so fragile and i have never droped this kinda money on a bike so i want to at least have an idea of what is exceptable. I am somewhat ruff on my toys. Also what is a good rule of thumb for saddle height. The guy at the shop said level with the handle bar was good for me, but i allways see them raised on other set ups. maybe cause im only five nine and a half?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The seat should be set at a height so that when the pedal reaches the bottom of the rotation your leg is slightly bent at the knee.

If you want to get technical then this piece may be of interest

BinBag

Thanks that link was very helpful. I absolutly can not waight to get out and learn how to ride my new orbea ttg.

Pot holes are a nightmare - and steer clear of the paint work on the road in the wet. I've just changed my factory slicks for some £10 each Hutchinsons, just for my own piece of mind really, especially in the wet.

colinr

On roads, slick tyres are grippier than 'knobblies' and no less slippery in the wet.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread

I would be inclined to avoid potholes and rocks.
Jumping up and down kerbs is not good for your wheels, wouldn't do that either.
But road bikes aren't fragile things just because they have thin tyres, they'll take a lot of punishment.

BinBag

It seems I was wrong then, tyres aren't any safer or more riskier if they're slick ones. In fact, going off that link they're better - and I can concur now that I've done a few miles on my new (not new anymore!) Allez 16. The tyres that I bought to replace the jet black slicks actually have a thicker strip in the middle of the tyre (I've heard the name of this before but can't remember what it is!) to reduce the risk of punctures.

The handling on this bike compared to my hybrid and mountain bike (both which will be sold/scrapped very soon) is immense! Cornering with confidence in the wet is excellent, and even in traffic.

All in all - I'm a happy chappy!! :biggrin:

RedBike

How careful do i need to be while rideing? Potholes? rocks? curbs r a no no?
Road bike wheels aren't made of glass but its a good idea not to smash them around.

Have a look at this video
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Also what is a good rule of thumb for saddle height. The guy at the shop said level with the handle bar was good for me, but i allways see them raised on other set ups. maybe cause im only five nine and a half?

You need to put your heal on the pedal then raise your saddle until your leg is straight. Then when you pedal with the ball of your foot you'll have a very slight bend in the knee at the bottom of the revolution.

The height of the handlebars depends upon the model and size of the bike. Although on most correctly sized road bikes the saddle is often higher than the bars.

I'm the same size as you. Just as a guide I tend to ride a 55/56cm road bike.

pepecat

I had my seat at the 'correct' height - leg slightly bent with heel on pedal, and found it to be too high. I was getting major thigh burn just above my knee and hills were a nightmare. I lowered the saddle so my leg is bent more (maybe 20-30 degrees?) and found this to be way better. Thighs don't hurt so much and i've found i get much more power out of each pedal stroke, especially up hills, and have been riding hills sitting down that I used to have to stand up in certain places (i'm not all that fit!!).

kewb

i hit a pothole disguising itself as a shallow puddle today bike was ok but i wont be making a habbit of it .

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I think you'll find pretty much universal agreement with earlier advice that you set saddle height first, by having your leg just not straight when your heel's on the pedal at the bottom of the down-stroke. I was taught once tht you then set your handlebar height at somewhere between one and two inches lower, and it's always worked for me. This is for a road bike - hybrids and MBs are probably different.

Top Bottom