Roads to avoid on LEJOG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anthony

MacLean said:
So my real area of uncertainty now is whether to take the A82 route between glasgow and inverness or the more eastern route (which I am not familliar with at all)

Again if anyone has any further suggestions/ recommendations of routes that are less dangerous but still dont add too many miles then im all ears!

Thanks alot so far guys!

Hello, I have another posible suggestion to make, which is what I did on my Jogle trip. It avoids the A82 but still goes along the west coast.

Go over the Erskine bridge and take the A814 all the way to Arrochar. Then follow the A83, A819, the A85 and the A828 up to Fort William.

This route goes on much quieter roads, goes past several lochs and travels up a good portion of the west coast. I found it to be one of the most scenic and traffic free parts of my trip.

shirokazan

Veteran
MacLean said:
...you said you went over the erskine bridge on your cycle trip but have only driven the a82? What way did you go then from there (on cycle) because going over the erskine bridge would suggest you would then be taking the A82 rather than heading East?
My route wasn't the most direct. Once I crossed the Erskine Bridge, I followed NCN7 to Balloch (next to Loch Lomond). From there I continued along NCN7 which takes in Drymen, Aberfoyle, Callander, Killin, Kenmore and then Pitlochry.
So my real area of uncertainty now is whether to take the A82 route between glasgow and inverness or the more eastern route (which I am not familliar with at all)
It sounds like you really want to go through Glencoe, in which case, my advice is to follow your heart's desire and do this. Alternatively, if you do change plan and take a more easterly route (such as my diversion along NCN7 from Erskine Bridge to Inverness) then I'm sure you can find a more direct route that will take you from your mate's place in Glasgow to Pitlochry.

I'm sure you will enjoy the overall experience, regardless of route.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hmmm ...
can't comment on the English part of the route at all ...
If I were to to a LeJoG, I'd probably go through Edinburgh and sleep in my own bed for the night.:wacko: I also think that there are more quiet options on the eastern side of Scotland, up to Inverness, with some lovely wee roads (admittedly hilly, so not ideal for heavily loaded bikes and limited time)

There is also the east coast of England, I heard the "Coasts and Castles" part of the NCN 1 is good (and not too hilly), but that may be too far out of your way if you are wanting to go through Glasgow.

Comments on a westerly route:
Somebody already mentioned that the "old road" parallel to the A74(M) is now quite quiet, I've heard that elsewhere.
I would definitely try and avoid the A82 north from Glasgow as fas as possible. If you are determined to go through Glencoe, another option could be to take the ferry to Dunoon and head along the A815 to Strachur, then Inveraray, DAlmally and along the B8074 to Dalmally, where you can join the A82 again. (less direct, but also less busy and you'd get to see some areas off the beaten track).

[Mind you, if I was doing this and heading up along the western side of Scotland, I'd either go via Arran and Kintyre, and then
a) either hop across to Portavadie from Tarbert follow the B8000 north (serious chevrons!) and then via Strachur as describe above or
:ohmy: weave my way further north along the Kintyre peninsula past Kilberry (lovely Inn and great views across to Jura and Islay!) and then past Kilmartin (zillions of standing stones & stone circles) and along Loch Awe to join the A82 [via the B8074 as mentioned above if you want go through Glencoe] or carry on along the west coast to Balachulish (where I'd divert via the Corran Ferry to Ardgour and Moidart to Lochailort and then on the old road to Mallaig, over the sea to Skye :laugh:, and then back to the mainland via the Skye Bridge, and then up the west coast]

Hmm getting lost in too many tempting options here :ohmy:, here are some more comments on your route:

I'd most definitely go along the SE side of Loch Ness rather than the SW side (much better views and a lot less traffic!)

North of Inverness I'd avoid the A9 and head further west - Strathnaver to Bettyhill as several others have said already ...

Good luck with your planning and the trip!

T

tribble

dont do it

i have yesterday driven down the a99/a9 where do i start well first of all believe it or not there are at the moment traffic lights on berriedale braes because a coach crashed into the barrier so thats being repaired traffic waiting both ways total nightmare then pretty uneventful untill after inverness there are lots of lengthy road works between inverness and perth and they will be going on all through the summer i wish i had taken the scenic route along the a82 but a caravan had jacknifed and blocked the road so there you go the wonders of living in the highlands you aint got a lot of choice of roads like you have down south. there were however numerous cyclists on this road both supported clubs and single unsupported riders so its up to you my advise is dont do it go the other way.

amaferanga

Veteran
tribble said:
i have yesterday driven down the a99/a9 where do i start well first of all believe it or not there are at the moment traffic lights on berriedale braes because a coach crashed into the barrier so thats being repaired traffic waiting both ways total nightmare then pretty uneventful untill after inverness there are lots of lengthy road works between inverness and perth and they will be going on all through the summer i wish i had taken the scenic route along the a82 but a caravan had jacknifed and blocked the road so there you go the wonders of living in the highlands you aint got a lot of choice of roads like you have down south. there were however numerous cyclists on this road both supported clubs and single unsupported riders so its up to you my advise is dont do it go the other way.

And breath.....

spen666

Legendary Member
amaferanga said:

P.p.s. What's with the detour through Dumfries instead of following the B7076/B7078 which shadows the M74 almost all the way to Glasgow and will be almost traffic-free?

+1 rode miles and miles without seeing any vehicles on these roads

Top Bottom