Roadsafe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

If you don't like helmet cams and people who report stuff, you're gonna love this! I didn't have any for months then I got 3 of em all on the same day. So, I reported them to Roadsafe and got the following responses (I've just included the stuff that isn't the general stuff they put in every e-mail):

Hire care cutting up a cyclist:

View: http://youtu.be/FMjnF_LhZhc

"Transport for London have a dedicated team who investigate complaints of this nature and so I have passed your e-mail including all links to video footage to them. If any further information is required, TfL will contact you directly".

So, this is fair enough I suppose... It was a hire car so pass it on to TfL and it's not like Roadsafe are ever going to prosecute anyway. Based on past experience though, I'm confident TfL won't do anything about this.

Motorcycle in the ASZ:

View: http://youtu.be/BMKWrvHyJvw

"From the information you have provided, no further action will be taken against the rider concerned as the circumstances under which they entered the Advanced Cycle Area are unknown. Breaches of the Highway Code Rules are not enforceable as the Highway Code provides advice and guidance for all road users and it is based on various road traffic enactments and regulations."

Is there really any doubt as to the circumstances? It's pretty obvious to me. I mean, I can understand that staying further back he could be in a dangerous position if he stays right of the queue of traffic but he's not only crossed the ASL, he's gone into the ASZ and crossed the line in front of that. Also, he can see the lights change from way back down Kennington Lane and there would have been plenty of opportunity for him to have stopped with the rest of the vehicles.

Texting woman:

http://youtu.be/dVp7g2qKuj0

"From the information you have provided, no further action will be taken against the driver concerned. Although the use of hand held mobile telephones whilst driving is prohibited, there are circumstances where exemptions may apply. This may be one such case."

As the footage isn't very clear, I didn't expect much from this but I was really surprised by the exemptions bit. I had a look for these exemptions and found 2:

a) need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop
- Now, she was texting and so I think it's safe to assume this one doesn't apply

b) are safely parked
- We can see she's not safely parked, she's in moving traffic - traffic she fails to notice has moved on at first cos she's too busy texting.

Are there other exemptions?

Maybe the police motorcyclist passing by was a factor in this somehow?

Anyway, it seems to me that PC Bell had a touch of cantbearseditis this morning...

sazzaa

That first video, it seems to me like he didn't even see the cyclist? Like he was just looking for a gap in the car traffic and didn't even notice? Scary.

Top Bottom