Roady or Hybrid for winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have the option now of a roady with 700x25 tyres or my hybrid with 26x1.5s.

I was thinking that when its real crap weather ie icier etc that the hybrid would be a safer ride or does it not make that much difference?

Both have mudguards and a pannier rack.

thomas

the tank engine
If you hit ice it's probably not going to make much difference.

I'd choose the roady...mainly because I don't have a hybrid (do have an MTB). Depending on the conditions though, I wouldn't go as fast or take the bends as quickly....where as if I was on the mountain bike I would probably get cocky and come off.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You can ride something with that width tyres (1.5 inches) on solid ice (2 inches), mush, snow and compacted snow I have done so in February. Most people would not think it a particularly sane idea. The key is really knowing where the ice and frost forms, route choice, care, luck etc.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What about SPDs?

ATM the hybrid has half-clips on i was wondering if they would be better in a slide than clipless i have on the roady

Quote: (On a roadie) I wouldn't go as fast or take the bends as quickly....where as if I was on the mountain bike I would probably get cocky and come off.

+1, then again the hybrid would probably be slightly less fragile, so liberties could be taken and enjoyed...road rash excepted!

Also depends on how far you are riding... the longer the ride, the more it leans towards the roadie imho. (but you know this) B)

gbb

Legendary Member
Hybrid for real icy weather, if only because you'll feel safer on it .(whether you are or not is another matter)
I commute all weathers, all year round, and do not like taking roadbikes on ice because i feel i have to go very very carefully on bends or when you lean the bike over.
The hybrid probably only gets 2 weeks use a year, but when i do...i feel a lot more comfortable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've come off on a knobbly equipped MTB in ice - 3 times in one 20 mile commute..not funny......

If ICE, then nothing bar studied tyres help.

Top Bottom