Roald Dahl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
as a child books were rare in our house! Now i have kids of my own i love reading his books! catching up on what i missed as a kid,So if you have not read Charlie & the chocolate factory,The fantastic Mr Fox etc get them & enjoy:biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
This is so true.
My grandson was reading James and the Giant Peach (is that right ?)

I sat each day and read a few pages....brilliant :blush:

longers

Legendary Member
I loved his kids books but his grown up stories are a different kettle of fish :blush:. I found them quite disturbing in a way I couldn't put my finger on.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
What was the pheasant poaching one called? I used to love reading that. Especially the bit where he drove his Dads car, exciting stuff :blush:

U

User169

Panter said:
What was the pheasant poaching one called? I used to love reading that. Especially the bit where he drove his Dads car, exciting stuff :blush:

Danny Champion of the World.

Brock

Defnititely Danny the Champion of the World was a wonderful book, I'd take anything by Dahl though, especially Sophie. :blush:

Melvil

Having read several biographies of Dahl (and his two autobiographies) I cannot really escape the impression that he seemed a bit, well, unlikable in some ways, especially to women.

However, having grown up on his books, I can say that he's provided (and is still providing) a sterling service of teaching kids that all is not sweetness and light in the world and humour is not necessarily all about slapstick but is sometimes darker and more interesting. For that I salute him.

(My favourite, or at least the one that made the biggest impression on me) was the BFG.

Top Bottom