Roast potatoes: Goose fat or Beef dripping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
they can be vicious, just wear full length trousers and don't be afraid to give them a nudge with your boot

for a while i used to go round to our mates road the corner when they were on holiday to feed and shut away/let out their chickens and geese and the chickens would go away them selves then one goose would go away with a bit of persuasion and maybe a little bedtime fight and then the other goose was totally blind in one eye and almost blind in the other, deaf, stubborn and vicious and required a good booting and a tennis racket and about half an hour to get her to go to bed!
Cheers Ed

Don't mention those Canadian geese on Fairhaven boating lake near Blackpool! Jeez they will attack you if they get a whiff of any food you have on you!

Twinks

Über Member
Hell they look vicious!:ohmy: I always remember my grandad telling me not to put my fingers through the fence when we fed them down the "hen pens",

We used to have 3 geese at the farm where I keep my horses, evil sods! Their favourite trick was to follow you up the gang plank to the muck heap nipping the back of your legs and their beaks are like a vice. 'the only escape was into the muck heap:laugh:. Nope, goose fat everytime for me!:tongue:

400bhp

Guru
7320B56D-4164-4100-8635-6AE1603E730A_zpsuwx48kgl.jpg

:hungry::popcorn::hungry:

Cheddar George

oober member
Vegetable/sunflower oil and King Edwards.
Lard for yorkshire puddings.

Ian A

Über Member
Sunflower oil allegedly is better as has higher temperature before burning than olive oil. That said I've used both and I reckon par boiling and cutting into small cubes makes the biggest difference.
I prefer goose fat but the wife is an olive oil fan and in fairness it makes a tasty spud when done right. We keep the temperature down below 160. Various information on stability of oils at temperature say maybe this should be lower. Saturated fat is more stable at temp than the olive oils of this world. Sunflower oil was heat treated in production and apparently damaged goods before you cook, says t'internet and books and stuff.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Goose fat and par-boiled good-quality roasting potatoes. Maris Piper being my preference. Skins left on 50% of em. Rattled hard before going in the roasting pan. Then the second lot of potatoes goes on for the champ.

Top Bottom