Roasted Butternut squash...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Could I freeze some? I bought a squash today, but it's too much to need all at once, I I don't want to be eating it all week. If I roasted it in chunks, could I freeze some? I'm not too worried about it retaining its shape or anything....

Fran143

Über Member
Yep, I do that all the time with butternut and turnip etc. If you bring it out the freezer and don't like the look of it then turn it into soup. What are you roasting it with....oil & honey or garlic and rosemary?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
oooh, garlic, there's an idea, I bought a couple of bulbs today. Not got any rosemary but I'll improvise... Cheers!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cool. I think I'll roast it in chunks and freeze portions, and then I can always soupify them if necesssary - mainly for logistics, I'll need to freeze it in little portions and my icebox is only, well, an icebox, so space is limited. I think little bags of chunks will be easier to handle than little bags of soup, if you see what I mean, and can be wedged in among the other stuff.

Depending on how much it works out to - if there's only enough for one portion of soup, I can fit a tub in.

I bought a red cabbage too, and am going to slow cook that with apple, and freeze portions too.

You know, there are other things you can do with butternut, besides roasting it. I wonder why so many chime in with "roast" when they confront a squash, in the way they think "chips" when they are served fish....

I think the raw squash will keep for several days in the fridge, even if cut (unpeeled).

Have you tried a squash soup recipe? We have one which is the perfect thing for warming you up now it's turning cooler... if you're interested I'll root around for it...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
You know, there are other things you can do with butternut, besides roasting it. I wonder why so many chime in with "roast" when they confront a squash, in the way they think "chips" when they are served fish....

I think the raw squash will keep for several days in the fridge, even if cut (unpeeled).

Have you tried a squash soup recipe? We have one which is the perfect thing for warming you up now it's turning cooler... if you're interested I'll root around for it...

In this case, roasting is just the easiest option really. Cut it up, bung it in the Remoska, turn over everyso often. I can still make soup with it anyway.... (If that recipe comes to hand easily, yes please, it would be nice to have inspiration.)

I know it will keep for a bit, but I know what would happen, I'd forget it, and it would eventually go mouldy. My own fault, I know. But cooked and frozen, then it doesn't matter if it's a month before I think 'oh! squash!'...

This is all a reaction to my dreadful diet this week, which included one dinner of chips, one of bacon and egg sandwich and one of cheese on toast, preceded by a pint and a half of beer, a pickled egg and a bag of pork scratchings.

I thought I better eat a vegetable of some sort. Tonight I will have sausages, squash and red cabbage. Then I'l' freeze the remainders, and I can bung portions in with my weekday staples of pasta or risotto-ish.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Great minds think alike Pete - i've just now made a squash and walnut bread...it's cooling on the rack as I type..mmm yum

ThePainInSpain

Made a spicy Butternut Squash soup yesterday.

Peel and finely dice a medium onion, the fry it until transparent in a little olive oil.
Add a finely chopped stick of celery. and a crushed clove of Garlic (or garlic salt)
Add the diced Butternut Squash, and 'fry' with the other ingredients for 3 or 4 mins.
Add 1 ltr of chicken stock.
Then add:
1 tsp Cumin
0.5 tsp Kayenne Pepper
1 tsp Chilly Powder
1 tsp Paprika

Bring to boil and simmer for about 35 mins.

Leave to cool, then ZAP

The quantities may vary to taste, I just guess it most of the time, and never had a bad one yet.

I've also used Ginger and Cinnamon, and that was pretty damn tasty too.

Arch, I suggest Andy in Sig faxes his spare pancakes to you and then it will be a simple matter of stuffing them with various ingredients, using your leftover butternut as a 'base'.
When finished it might be a good idea to take a photo and email it to Andy so that he can experience squash as flat as a pancake.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've been banned from growing butternut squash this year as we ended up with over 50 of the things in 2009!

But yes, you can freeze it for soup as Fran says. The texture breaks down completely in the freeze. Personally, I'd just make a load of soup and freeze that instead.

Grow them next year and send me half of them... :biggrin: we have grown them every year for the past 3 or 4 years and had a grand total of about 4 miniature butternut squashes in that time.... (or you could just tell me what the secret to growing them is). We are still perservering as I love them ... they are the nearest thing to fresh tinned soup.... just leave the squash in the cupboard for months if necessary until you want to eat it.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Roasted butternut squash and garlic soup is one of my favourites. Just lightly crush the garlic cloves so they release a bit of juice and roast along with the squash. Liquidise it with some strongish veg stock and black pepper. Easy!

I might try spicing it up a la ThePainin
Spain next time.

Jaguar

you could just tell me what the secret to growing them is.
The secret is that they need long hot summers to mature. Even the UK-bred varieties don't do well in a cool wet summer. Change your variety, there are many better squashes out there.
This year I've got lots of Uchiki Kuri, Hooligan and Golden Nugget squashes. All ripen quickly and keep well in a dry place all winter.

If you're into your growing, have a look here.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I discovered butternut squashes last year - they are yummy!

I normally bake a squash and use it to thicken up a veggie curry. I make a huge pot of curry, eat one meal's worth and freeze the rest (usually enough for another 4 meals). It's what I used to do as a student. I'd make enough on a Sunday to last me through the week. Not exactly a varied diet... It's probably why I graduated weighing only 10 stone 10 pounds (I'm the same height and general build as Fabian Cancellara and he weighs 12 stone 9 pounds)!

Top Bottom