ROBBED!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
No, not my bike, but I've never felt so completely let down after finishing a ride before!

I'm working away in the North Yorkshire Moors, and yesterday I did a small after work ride of about 20 miles that took in a couple of nice climbs (one of them right at the start) a massive descent and a long flat A road finish.
Tonight I decided that I'd do in reverse, so start off with a TT style assault, then take on a Cat 3 climb that was over 25% in places, drop into the valley, climb back out and then finish on a swift fast descent back to the hotel.

It all started off so well. The cat 3 nearly killed me by the way. I had a chain off after about 400 yards when I ran out of gears, and then when I was delirious near the top I swerved onto the grass verge and almost came right off!
Anyway, I made it around to the final climb, got up pretty easily in comparison to the earlier one, but about 300 yards from the top I was overtaken by a tractor.

You know what's coming don't you? We're talking a 40mph descent easy, and I was hauling on the anchors to stop myself going into the back of the clio that couldnt get past the tractor. By the time I did get past, the descent had all but run out and I was back at the hotel :sad:

A category 3 climb - I think my first - and I didn't even get to enjoy a descent afterwards. Devastated.

Anyone else got any similar tales of cycling woe?

craven2354

Should of took a breather at the top so you could enjoy the decent :smile:

Nearly there

Veteran
I was on a Strava mission yesterday and was 2 minutes ish ahead of my best time on a regular loop,After the last Climb I clicked onto the big ring as I started the decent only it didn't shift up so I had to stop and realised the derailer cable had came loose :thumbsdown: Gutted as I saw my time slip away from me but as I was only 3 miles from home I just carried on using the small ring and fixed it when I got back.On the + side I managed 3 Pr's on the ride.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Out of interest which part of North Yorkshire?

I'm staying just outside Stokesley, so on the outskirts of the moors. Never been here before and I'm absolutely flabbergasted by how amazing it is. The cycling is fantastic. Was checking my rides over the last 3 nights and I've done a cat 4 and two cat 3s within a few miles of the hotel.
Definitely coming back

gavintc

Guru
I dropped onto a good hill the other evening to spot a hearse ahead of me. Poo - hearse was doing a nice sedate 25mph and I just felt it was so wrong to blast past it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm staying just outside Stokesley, so on the outskirts of the moors. Never been here before and I'm absolutely flabbergasted by how amazing it is. The cycling is fantastic. Was checking my rides over the last 3 nights and I've done a cat 4 and two cat 3s within a few miles of the hotel.
Definitely coming back

I lived just south of Middlesbrough between 1992-8 and there's some good hills there.

DRHysted

Guru
Definitely coming back
Next week I'll be up staying with friends near Pickering, real James Herriott (now known as Heartbeat) country. It really is a breathtaking area of the country.
This time I'm taking the road bike, but I don't think I'll be able to get out much.

Top Bottom