ROCK SHOX Tora = Lockout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
The front sus on the RS Tora on lockout is poor.. i.e. it 'breaks easily on an incline for instance.
I can live with it.. but it would be so nice going uphill out of saddle without the front end bouncing up and down like whatever........
Photos show what I think is where the tension can be altered to make the lockout stiffer.. at the sus end .. the cable?
Anyone ideas or experience in these things?
I am a roadie and I need help :wacko:
DSCN0507.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0510.jpg

GilesM

Legendary Member
Is it definately not locked out completely because the blue pulley on stop of the fork leg is not fully rotated clockwise, if that's the case then I would just loosen the cable in the blue pulley, looks like a little allen key bolt, and pull the cable through. If the Blue pulley is fully rotated clockwise then it must be something else, is there an adjuster to set a level at which point the suspension will work even when locked out, (I have the rockshock reba and this has such an adjustment) check if this is not set too low. Sorry, difficult to help from a distance.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
TY
I will try again to 'tighten' up the cable so that when the 'Lock' is set at the handlebar it moves the blue dial around more.
As the pix show, it is only moving around about 90 degrees .. I assume the rotation should a whole lot more?
I did try that some time back but not having a proper cable puller and using just pliers , I didnt do too good a job at it.
I have no idea if there is a screw adjuster on the actual shock itself to allow movement no matter what.
Put it this way , I cant see any obvious one.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
Incidentally, try setting the rebound on the fork quite slow. Fork seems much more stable and responsive that way.

That would sound v logical...
can you point in me in right direction as to how to adjust?
The large RS manual you get with the bike is next to bloody useless

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
mmmm you mean the one with a little bit of oil seepage?
There isnt much movement with that either.. plus it comes off completely very easily
I am going to have a look at this in daylight.. the bike is nicely dried off in the kitchen.. it has to be in the shed soon..
If I knew what I was doin.. it would help wouldnt it?
Just checkin if that SRAM site manual is any different to the one I have.
I know the TORA on this Arete is an air one.. but that just shouts out more complication to me.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Just read a previous thread about low oil could be a cause?
Now this bike hasnt actually been back to the LBS for its free service .. over a year old.. maybe this is a very good test of how 1 LBS reacts to getting the problem sorted free of charge.. it might get popped over to them next week.

Mr Pig

I am Spartacus said:
mmmm you mean the one with a little bit of oil seepage?

If you've never had the lever off before a little bit of oil in there isn't surprising. It could've been in there since the fork was new. Once everything moves around the seals settle down and the leak should stop. Dry it all off and see if you get fresh oil, you shouldn't.

The lever should swing about eighty degrees or so and yes, it comes off easily!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yours is the basic. The one with the dial is the U-Turn which is used to adjust the travel- not an option on yours.

Three questions: 1. Does the lever on the poploc return to an open position of its own accord when the fork becomes active again?
2. Have you adjusted the preload on the top of the left fork leg? If that is really sloppy it might leave some movement when the fork is supposedly locked.

3.How long since the fork was serviced?

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Yes the poplock does return on its own accord when released.
The lockout however still 'breaks' with very little downforce.
I have adjusted the bottom rebound lever to the 'hare' symbol
How does that lever actually stay in on bumpy rides???

The shock is 15 months old with v few miles and those clean as well.

Am I going to have to part with the best of £30 for a Rock Shox sus hi pressure pump to , I think , I get more into the air fork? grrrr

I have mentioned that it may find its way back to the LBS on this one.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ah! I take it from that that it's the solo-air? Yes, you're gonna have to get a fork pump, otherwise the things do leak air eventually. As yours doesn't have a blowout gate then it sounds like the thing MAY
have some sort of threshold, and if it hasn't got enough air in it it won't lock.

Top Bottom