Rocker Plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Most people use DIY templates to create there own, I think.

Didn’t see the show but guessing they didn’t get an investment??

si_c

Guru
Not sure what the value add - not that I've seen the TV show, but Wiggle do a rocker plate for £100 less than their cheapest option, not to mention the other manufacturers and that you can make your own with some plywood and a couple of tennis balls!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are a few threads on here where people have made their own - certainly much cheaper. the only 'tricky' bit is obtaining the bearings and mounts, but someone will already have a source. At least you can size it up if DIY - the Wiggle reviews mention their model is a bit short for the front wheel and wheel block

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I made 3, they are really not that had to do and if you don't fancy making one to save yourself money you can buy them from many different places, including custom builders. Did the Dragon's Den versions have any unique features?

si_c

Guru
There are a few threads on here where people have made their own - certainly much cheaper. the only 'tricky' bit is obtaining the bearings and mounts, but someone will already have a source. At least you can size it up if DIY - the Wiggle reviews mention their model is a bit short for the front wheel and wheel block
I'd seen that, but if not using a front wheel block then it is likely to be fine - I'm not as I have a Flux 2 instead of the Neo, and given that my 63cm frame has a 9mm longer wheelbase than their 49cm frame, I'd not be too worried.

That being said I'm not in the market for one, I probably would if I was staying in my current house, but I'm moving and likely to be relegated to the garage when we do, and I doubt I'll be able to ride using a rocker plate in the garage as the roof will be too low - I'm concerned about being able to stand on the pedals without banging my head as it is.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd seen that, but if not using a front wheel block then it is likely to be fine - I'm not as I have a Flux 2 instead of the Neo, and given that my 63cm frame has a 9mm longer wheelbase than their 49cm frame, I'd not be too worried.

That being said I'm not in the market for one, I probably would if I was staying in my current house, but I'm moving and likely to be relegated to the garage when we do, and I doubt I'll be able to ride using a rocker plate in the garage as the roof will be too low - I'm concerned about being able to stand on the pedals without banging my head as it is.

It's currently floor space as issue for me in the garage (two broken engines in there too - don't ask). Plus, I'm not so sure I want the extra height to get 'off' the bike - that's the times I struggle with my back - the Full Suspension is dead handy with it's dropper post, as that's significantly higher to sit on than the road bikes.

CXRAndy

Guru
You can make a full rocker board for less than £150. 18mm ply, solid 25mm bar and 4 or 6 pillow bearing. 6 tennis balls. Fixings

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
What's the ride like ? I've seen reviews saying it's the opposite angle if that makes sense ?
Its great, gentle rocking motion. This depends on the damping method you decide to employ. I use tennis balls(6) with next to none free lean. Others use inflatable inner tubes or other methods.

I can ride 4/5 hours indoors and have the same level of fatigue as out door.

CXRAndy

Guru

The metal parts are readily available online. If you have a blacksmith nearby, you should be able to obtain the bar which the pillow bearings fix to. Dont buy hollow tubing, its never a pure circle and will jam up in the pillow bearings

Here are mine and tennis ball damping
20220218_125200.jpg
20220218_125216.jpg
20220218_125232.jpg
:okay:

Top Bottom