Rockrider 8.1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys, a while ago I came on here asking for a suitable bike which I can use on and off road. I ended up buying the Rockrider 8.1 and it is a great bike!

However, I'm using it more on road than I expected and I have to say it isn't the smoothest ride on-road, it just doesn't feel very comfortable and these people are cruising passed me on their nice road bikes, looking nice and comfortable with their curved handlebars.

I'm not complaining about the bike but I'd just like to find a way to make my road journeys slightly more comfortable. I'm thinking of getting some curved handlebars myself. Is this possible for this model?

What would people recommend?

It would be that or potentially I'd be looking to exchange the bike for a more road-based bike.

It just feels like the rock rider is more mountain-based (as the name suggests) but I seem to be using it more on the road so I might be best to get a more road-based bike.

Please advise. Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Put slick tyres on and add some bar ends. It'll never be a road bike though

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The simplest way as Vickster says is to put slick tyres on.
You will still find people on road bikes whizz by, but the ride will be smoother and a bit quicker.
A mountain bike has a more upright position than a road bike and normally weighs quite a bit more so you won't get parity with the roadies.

OP
OP
A

Alex Wilding

Regular
When I brought the bike, the guy took off the mountain tyres and gave me some thinner ones which he said are more suitable for road.

I think I'm going to sell it and get a new one. I'm just not using it off-road enough.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depending on your budget, the Decathlon BTwin triban range are very good value in the sub £500 category. The world is your oyster above that especially

Best go to your local bike shop and try a few out

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Road bikes are very harsh contraptions compared to an MTB.

Roadies talk about one bike being more comfortable than another, which it may be, but only in relative terms.

A compliant ride is simply not possible on rubber band tyres inflated to a gazillion psi.

Only you can judge if the comfort is there, so try a couple of road bikes to see what you think.

Big Nick

I have a road bike and a hybrid and find the hybrid pretty fast and pretty smooth with the main difference in speed between them being its seating position is less aero-dynamic

There's lots of great hybrids and CX bikes out there to choose from so have a good search around for online reviews, if road performance is what you're after I'd avoid suspension but if you're still off roading you'll rattle your bits a bit!!

Its partially why n+1 occurs as different bikes do different jobs, I have 4 bikes a roadie for long road rides, a hybrid for gentle leisure rides with the missus on hers, a hardtail mtb for off roading and an ancient steel hack bike I use for work in winter to keep my good bikes away from the salty crappy roads........think a TT bike might be next!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom