Rockriders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
How a bike handles is far more important than weight or marginal gains in components 'GEOMTRY' people, geomtry!
Indeed, but at that price point I'll bet my mortgage they'll all be between 70 and 72 degrees front end, generic Taiwanese trekking MTB geometry, with a 74 degree or so seat angle. If you can find a slacker one then fine. Given Ladytrucker's own summary of its likely use, I can't see her upgrading it anytime soon, so overall package rather than futureproofing is my recommendation.

lukesdad

Indeed, but at that price point I'll bet my mortgage they'll all be between 70 and 72 degrees front end, generic Taiwanese trekking MTB geometry, with a 74 degree or so seat angle. If you can find a slacker one then fine. Given Ladytrucker's own summary of its likely use, I can't see her upgrading it anytime soon, so overall package rather than futureproofing is my recommendation.
I thought she didn t have a price point or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I thought she didn t have a price point or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?
Price is not that important, but unless I too have misunderstood the new bike needs to be A) better than the old Raleigh and B) a capable forest path/ fire road style bike. In many ways there are a hell of a lot of bikes out there that will fulfil both criteria. Ladytrucker is not in the market for spending money on kit she won't use, so we're not sending her to On One or Orange.
She's done her own research and likes the look of the Rockriders, and has contemplated the 8.1, dismissing it as overkill for her riding. If she was a big burly bloke trucker the 5.2 or 5.3 will do it, but I did note that at 14.5 or so kg it's a bit of a lump, so argued that she could justify the 8. if she could afford it, not least because of the 1.5kg weight difference. Yep, price isn't important, but neither is it unlimited.... Ladytrucker isn't going to part with much more, she knows she doesn't need to.

OP
OP
L

Ladytrucker

Thanks for all your help guys. I wanted to know what you thought about the Rockrider and I'm taking on board all your comments. Nice bikes and I hope they feel as good as they look.

I think the next best thing for me to do is go out and look at a few bikes checking the fit and weight. OH and I going to visit Decathlon and Dales Glasgow stores this Saturday and get a feel for some bikes, see what they both have and how they feel. I just need to keep myself planted and remember what I need it for and not how it will look to others. Or will I turn into a Diva and get some mtb bling?:girldance:

02GF74

Über Member
Thanks. I know you guys spend tones of cash on bikes and bike parts, thanks for reminding me. The money is not an issue here I could just go out and buy a Trek Superfly at £1300 but the spec is too high for what I need my bike for.

£ 1300 is pretty decent budget for a hardtail but I don't expect you need to spend anywhere near that.

Once you reach SLX equipment level,there is not much point spending any more.

Your riding is on road (do you really need mtb for that?) and some easy trails - you will notice difference between a £ 300 and £ 600 bike, lighter, better front forks to smooth out bumps, better operation of components etc. Then as you spend more, the difference lessens.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
£ 1300 is pretty decent budget for a hardtail but I don't expect you need to spend anywhere near that.

Your riding is on road (do you really need mtb for that?) and some easy trails - you will notice difference between a £ 300 and £ 600 bike, lighter, better front forks to smooth out bumps, better operation of components etc. Then as you spend more, the difference lessens.
Have you ever gone from a £600-00 bike to a £2000-00 bike, the difference is very noticeable.

02GF74

Über Member
Have you ever gone from a £600-00 bike to a £2000-00 bike, the difference is very noticeable.

i have gone from 800 to 4000+ (not paid full whack as it was s/h) and there is a huge difference. point i was trying to make was if you go in £ 300 increments e.g. 300 -> 600, 600 -> 900 etc, the difference as you go up in price diminishes.

Oh there are many points for spending more, better tolerances, better materials, better seals, bearings, etc. Less rivots and more bolts and screws that allow for better maintenance and longevity of item. Sometimes it's not about the bling.

OP
OP
L

Ladytrucker

Went to the bike shop today and got myself a Giant Rove 2. I know, I know I said I was looking for a MTB and looking at a lower spec. But when I looked around the shop I couldn't resists the Giant. Hybrid bikes are not what I thought. Great spec with the lock out forks and hydralic brakes, all the things I said I didn't need. But hey a girl needs a little bling.:girldance:

Motozulu

Über Member
We all start out with a target bike and a budget limit as we head off down the LBS.
With a steely determined look in your eye you will NOT let the Mrs down this time.
Marching down the Hight St with her last words to you, uttered just as you are pulling your coat on and closing the front door....."Remember what we agreed we can afford dear.."
Walking into the shop to the rythm of the mental mantra '£600, £600,£600' .
Then you see it, the bike you were'nt even looking for, it sits there winking and glinting at you and you just know you have to have it. You try and be good, you tell yourself you don't actually need full XT running gear, but the little minx in the corner is still smiling at you and showing you those lovely lines and flashing paintwork.
Then, seeing you stood transfixed in front of the vision from bike heaven, the LBS sidles up to you, somehow he's approaching you across the floor even though his legs are'nt moving, like a bad extra from Bram Stoker's Dracula, though you only half notice this detail.. .."Lovely, isn't she?..."

An hour later..."How did you get on, love?" comes drifting in from the kitchen as you gently close the front door.."Oh, alright Bab?... tell you what..they had this cracking deal on this Cube........." :rolleyes:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oh there are many points for spending more, better tolerances, better materials, better seals, bearings, etc. Less rivots and more bolts and screws that allow for better maintenance and longevity of item. Sometimes it's not about the bling.
It's always about the bling.

Sure sometimes it's not all about the bling.

But the bling is the bling.

Don't diss the bling.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bling sells
Bling looks good
Bling makes you feel good
Bling is simply good.

Function without bling is dull (and rare)
Bling without function still looks good.

And it's a fact of (marketing) life that expensive and good quality kit (nearly) always looks good too. So bling works as well.

Top Bottom