RockShoxs Tora Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Hi there,

One of the bikes I'm thinking about buyig has a RockShox Tora fork. Looks like a nice fork, lots of ajustment on it, but doing a search I found that quite a few people have had big issues with it.

Three people have had the fork come apart on them, leading to big crashes! One had the sping shoot out of the top cutting his face and failures of the lockout and rebound ajusters seem common.

Has anyone here used this fork and if, so how is it? Do you think these are rare problems or is the fork a bit on the crap side. My bike has a RockShox Jett fork that has never given any problem in seven years.

Check on mtbr.com for reliable reviews.
With failures like that I wonder if it was the user at fault myself - having taken it apart and not put it back together properly, that kind of thing simply should not happen (unless you have a pair of old paces ha ha).

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I spoke at great length to a nice guy in the workshop at Dales. He said that they do get issues with them but no more than you'd see on any fork. He also said that most of the problems have been sorted out since the introduction of the Tora and the fork you'll buy today will be much more sorted than the one you'd have received a few years ago.

He said that, with forks in particular, they're pushing the technology to include more features and better performance and it's usually not until after the fork has been out for a while that the issues appear. This washers not right, that seal's too small etc.

What's the story with 'old Paces'?

I have a couple of pairs of pace forks - RC36 (4" XC) and RC40 (5" all mountain). They are lovely looking forks, but were made in the days before pace were bought by DT swiss who have apparently ironed out the quality issues in the factory (but hiked the price).

The RC36 I bought direct from pace and were fitted with dodgy seals so they seized as soon as they got wet. At the top of the glentress black route, which was helpful. They had to go back to the factory for new seals but after that they were fine.

The RC40s were one of the earliest pairs made of that fork and also had the same crappy seals, problems with the lockout and the lowers had ovalised. The upshot of this was that they kept losing their oil so had no rebound damping. They are an absolute git to take apart and replace the oil in. They went back for 4 different sets of seals but the problem remains. They're currently on my other half's full suss XC bike - he has to make sure he doesn't store it upside down cos the oil will pour out!

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Right. But they didn't come apart though and throw you into the scenery? Seems the Tora has been known to do that!

I remember when the only suspension you got on bikes was the little springs on the back of your chopper seat! ;0)

bonj2

from what iv'e heard of rockshox they cover a much wider range than fox and marzocchi. in other words, their worst is a lot worst, but their best is top notch.
Their really good forks like pike and boxxer are really top end, but they do make some which are not really much above your SR suntour/RST types.
Fox and marzocchi are your best bet. Marzocchi reach more into the budget spectrum at the tradeoff of weight, but both are very reliable.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I've just ordered a Kona Hoss which has a Marzocchi fork, but the fork gets rubbish write-ups. No one likes it.

buddha

Veteran
I've had Tora's on my MTB for two years (318 Solo Air - 2006). With no problems so far. Despite my 13 (and a bit) stone, lack of skill and numerous crashes!
Are these problems a recent thing? As when I got mine they were highly recommended on forums as a reliable, well performing budget fork.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

buddha said:
Are these problems a recent thing?

I don't know, but I got the impression that most of the issues have been sorted now.

I guess you'll find bad revues of any product if you look hard enough, I'd buy these shocks going by what I've read.

Top Bottom