rode the Cothi Sportive route today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Last minute decision today,chucked the bike in the car and drove to the Welsh Botanical gardens to ride round the Merlin Cothi 70 mile Sportive route.

Took it easy and was pleased to get over the Black Mountains ok, last time I got some serious cramps half way up which spoilt the day a bit, this time I had plenty of salt on food before and pedalled over no probs.

The Cothi may be shorter than the Merlin but its not an easy option,after the 2 routes diverge at Llansawel there are some sharp climbs before you get back, very pretty route down the Cothi valley though and an enjoyable ride.

001-8.jpg

003-14.jpg

006-6.jpg

007-12.jpg

010-5.jpg

lukesdad

Good pics, Last ones a favourite haunt of mine Black Lion at Aborgorlech and is also the start of the Gorlech Red Trail.

515mm

.....and you're worried about starting the Merlin? After all that?

You'll sail it. ;)

Super pics, btw - I always forget my camera when I'm going out, useless bugger that I am.

Been riding on the bike path from Llanelli to Cross Hands then Fairfach-Ammanford-Brynamman-BlackMtn-Llangadog, stop for water, turn round and ride back(short cut left turn at Llandybie-XHands on the way home) for the last couple of weeks as Dragon Ride training.

87 miles, a mere 5hrs 30mins in the saddle. My cheeks are red raw..............:smile:

lukesdad

Thought about using that route occasionally as part of my commute,and taking the old A48 back to Carmarthen,but I thought the path was abit rough at the crosshands end.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

515mm said:
.....and you're worried about starting the Merlin? After all that?

You'll sail it. :smile:

Super pics, btw - I always forget my camera when I'm going out, useless bugger that I am.

Been riding on the bike path from Llanelli to Cross Hands then Fairfach-Ammanford-Brynamman-BlackMtn-Llangadog, stop for water, turn round and ride back(short cut left turn at Llandybie-XHands on the way home) for the last couple of weeks as Dragon Ride training.

87 miles, a mere 5hrs 30mins in the saddle. My cheeks are red raw..............:biggrin:
That would take me 8 hours .But I do stop to take photos quite a lot :-)

PS talking of Llangadog I stopped for coffee and cake in the coffe shop there that is staffed by people with various learning disabilities.Can recommend it they do a good job cake was delicious. Some people without learning disabilities could learn a few things from them.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

lukesdad said:
Yes. Thats a good time for that route 515. How much of that is climbing Cuckoo.:smile::biggrin:

Is the mountain road nicknamed "Cuckoo" after the pub in Llangadog or was the pub named after the road?

Top Bottom