Rodi Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
WOW!! :smile: They got some stickers on them!

I would go handbuilt at that price point, from Harry Rowland
or you can get these from Ribble
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CSNAWHHR360000000000

RedBike

I've only had one set of Rovi wheels, they came on Giant TCR. They were terrible!

I've no experiance of the Airline wheels but I at £140 for a deep sectioned wheel, I would be very sceptical.

20 spoke front (818g), 24 spoke rear (1106g) You're not kidding about them not being the lightest.

I would be looking at 105 on open sport rims or if you fancy something a little areo Campagnolo Vento wheels (you can get a Shimano freehub).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Wouldn't Aksiums be around that price range? I swapped my DA22 wheels for a pair of those and was very happy with them. Alternatively, as the others have said, maybe some handbuilts - my lbs built some up for me to my spec for commuting, and they're streets ahead of the DA22 in terms of feel, even though they're only Tiagra hubs and DRC17 rims.

jayce

well ive done 2000 miles on mine and their still true they a quite heavy but were not pros so that dont matter they do the job they a suppost to do and look better than most wheels on the market ,imho

RedBike

There's two problems accoicated with deep sectioned rims.

The first and obvious one is the weight of the wheel goes up. A few extra grams on the frame doesn't really matter but a few grams at the wheels rim is very noticable.

The second ist he the rim doesn't flex / absorb the bumps as well. The ride becomes more uncomfortable.

imo the only real reason to have a low spoke count deep sectioned wheel is for improved areodynamics. If you're after strength / reliabiltiy then go for a stronger touring rim and more spokes.

Marin Maniac

Blimey those Rodi wheels look sweet! Price looks good, but I do believe that if its too good to be true, then it probably is.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I recently got some wheels built, 105 hubs/ open sport rims. They're good. They replaced a Shimano R500 (rear) and a cheap wheel with Alex rim (front). There is some considerable difference. Stiffer, yet give a more comfortable ride (presumably because of the rim section as Redbike points out). I'm very happy with them.

I've never noticed the difference wheels make before since my better bikes have had budget hand-built wheels on reasonable hubs from the start.

Top Bottom