Roger Page British cyclocross rider 1960s 70s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brummie53

Hi
Does anyone have any information about Roger Page? Back in the late 60s I was an apprentice decorator for Birmingham council and Roger was a Carpenter ( I guess he was about 30/40s then). I got chatting to him and he was a keen cyclist and I believe he may have been a British champion. He used to cycle in from his home in Hurley North Warwickshire to whichever site we were working on as part of his training. No professionals back then!
I was told that he left the council to open a cycle shop in Cotteridge in Birmingham and would be interested to know more about his cycling career.
Regards
Brummie53

Sharky

Guru
I remember the name. I think he was over shadowed by John Atkin, but he was a good rider.

Found this video of the 1969 cyclo cross championship.

View: https://youtu.be/tO54cRsvO5Y

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I used the shop regularly (it was at the Kings Norton end of Stirchley, on the Pershore Road). It was very good and he could get anything done - I used to get frames enamelled for £30! Long gone, sadly.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I only lived in Stirchley for two years but he was still there when I moved in 1993. There are a load of flats there now.

matiz

Guru
Roger was a top rider but as @Sharkey says was overshadowed at the time like we all were by the practically unbeatable John Atkins and the other Coventry lad Chris Dodd, I raced against them a few times (when I say raced I mean followed them round at a respectful distance) I do remember Roger winning the Midland championship, I think it was at Aldersley stadium Wolverhampton.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=21956

He died quite young (in 1999, at 62). Interesting that he rode Beacon RCC events in the 60s, because he put me in touch with the club in the early 90s. It was a rather small club then - it's huge nowadays. I was usually the one eating a Mars Bar at the back of Sunday runs on my old 10-speed (by which I mean 2 x 5, kids).

usejean

Hi
Does anyone have any information about Roger Page? Back in the late 60s I was an apprentice decorator for Birmingham council and Roger was a Carpenter ( I guess he was about 30/40s then). I got chatting to him and he was a keen cyclist and I believe he may have been a British champion. He used to cycle in from his home in Hurley North Warwickshire to whichever site we were working on as part of his training. No professionals back then!
I was told that he left the council to open a cycle shop in Cotteridge in Birmingham and would be interested to know more about his cycling career.
Regards
Brummie53

He did open a cycle shop

Attachments

• 93143CE2-1B8C-42FE-BC22-66048CC5CAEC.jpeg
    93143CE2-1B8C-42FE-BC22-66048CC5CAEC.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
B

Brummie53

Hello Usejean, Thanks for the reply ( and picture) about Roger’s shop. I’ve only just come back onto this site after a while away hence why I haven’t replied earlier. It’s funny the small things you remember from conversations. Roger once said that in the cold weather he would put newspaper or brown paper under his top when cycling to work. No fancy cycle wear back then! A thoroughly nice man

Top Bottom