Rohloff Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

oh. I want a tee shirt...if we're a club do we get a tee shirt? just checking, this isn't a pyramid scheme is it?

snorri

Legendary Member
So who is interested in joining and who would like first shot at applying to become a club official?...anyone??
[/quote]

Dear President Rohloff
I would be pleased to apply for the role of Foreign Correspondent, in anticipation of my appointment kindly send a large pad of travel expenses claim forms by First Class post.

Pottsy

Dear Pottsy

I really do not think we need to bring colour into it. We all know that Rohoff owners will be men wearing black socks with either SPDs or mulit-activity shoes. Failing that they will have sandals (with no socks). Whatever next? categories for men and women? Female stokers on Rohloff equipped tandems can join as associate members if they wish. Let's have no more suggestion of colour or gender discrimination please people.

Now your cheese idea has merit. Could you make a list of different cheese types, textures and flavours, break it down by region and country and then get it back to me for consideration ASAP.

Many thanks

Ok I'm on it.

I might as do the wines whilst I'm at it :tongue:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Dear Albion

The Alfine 11 will no doubt have it's champions but a Rohloff is peerless. The two cannot be considered on a par. Anyway, what do you do with an Alfine when you get to 11. You can't turn it up to 14!

Thanks but no thanks.

Oh contraire, the rohloff is only peerless in specific niches, beyond that it's very much debateable. While I enjoyed your OP I think a more realistic proposal might be around a dedicated hub gear and hub dynamo section. Pros and cons could be weighed up and even suggestions for improvements, this is why little niche manufacturers spring up that do all sorts of handy little things, that make your 'peerless' system a bit more user friendly. Looking at hub gears specifically:-

Alfine 11 v Rohloff - setup two bikes with 700x32 tyres and the Rohloff at 42/16 and the Alfine at 38/21 you'll find that the Alfine gears 2-10 are virtually identical to the Rohloff gears 5-14. The Rohloff gears 1-4 give 19.8, 22.4, 25.5 and 29 gear inches compared to the Alfine gear 1 which gives 25.6 gear inches, on both the next step is 33 inches. So the difference in the two setups are the Rohloff gears 1, 2 and 4. If you have no requirement for the 19.8 and 22.4 gears, or no need for a gear in between 25.5 and 33, then, gear range wise, the rohloff would not be the best choice.

But that's not the whole story, what do we like about hub gears and what would we change to get our preferred option? For me:-

Reliability - well this one is the Rohloff without a moments hesitation
Maintenance - I'd like the accessibility and access to spares at a Sturmey Archer level without compromising general reliability
Shifters - the ability to choose between twist, trigger, barend/DT and STI style aero shift levers - Alfines are best in this area
Cables - SRAM I Motion 9, their cable attach/release for wheel removal is so superior to the rest it's not even funny, as is installation/removal of cable from bike
Weight/Aesthetics - more colour options and lower weight in smaller spoke flange diameters - this applies to all of the makers

That's just my take on it but you do hear these sort of sentiments, particularly shifter options and cable setup/wheel removal, echoed frequently across the web.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Reliability - well this one is the Rohloff without a moments hesitation

Speaking as someone who is on their third Rohloff casing I might quibble a little here.

Can I be senior position holder in the tandem-with-hub-dynamo-and-Brooks-Saddles-but-the-stoker-isn't-really-sure-and-we've-got-more-experience-of-Thorn-customer-service-than-we-really-want section, please?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Speaking as someone who is on their third Rohloff casing I might quibble a little here.

Can I be senior position holder in the tandem-with-hub-dynamo-and-Brooks-Saddles-but-the-stoker-isn't-really-sure-and-we've-got-more-experience-of-Thorn-customer-service-than-we-really-want section, please?

True, though my tandem experience is zero, thinking on it the Alfine 8 has a good reputation for reliability as well.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I knew the club was going to get hijacked. There are undercover Shimano operatives everywhere. I was right to be worried.

Actually, at the moment I am more worried than normal...and stressed and paranoid and increasingly compulsive and really, really obsessive. My Psychiatrist tells me I have to have rest and must recommence my meds. It's something I have been laying off for a while but she does know best and I do respect her opinion. She is also threatening a Section 2 if I do not comply. So I am taking a temporary break from running the club and leaving everything in Pkeenans capable hands for the time being. Be strong Number One. This is your time.

Keep up the good work everyone and look out for Alfinistas.

Long live the Rohloff

Top Bottom