Roller woes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Back in the first lockdown I bought Tacx Antares and used them to get going on my bike again. Being unfit I found them pretty hard work. Once I was out on the road I stopped using them and was riding pretty well.

I've been out riding again and with the sudden chill winds decieded to get them out again - and I find them bloody impossible. I even tried them on my fixed and are huge amounts of effort to stay-upright. But then I see other people spinning along on them without too much issue. Whilst am not super fit am not so bad either. It's really a big effort to pedal hard enough to keep stable 15 mins and am knackered and there's no warm-up just full tilt. The rollers seem free enough.

Is it me?
Anybody else had this issue?
Anything I should be checking/doing differently?
Am I not good enough for rollers and should flog them?

Mildly miffed.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to big ring it and get a fairly big gear spinning. I have a set but prefer the Smart Turbo.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The more tense you are the harder it is. Have you tried starting off wedged in a doorway or a narrow corridor to help with your balance?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The more tense you are the harder it is. Have you tried starting off wedged in a doorway or a narrow corridor to help with your balance?
It's the sheer effort required that's mostly the issue...once I'm going like Billy-O balance is not too bad...but I can't start at full tilt, my heart will explode! I'm thinking a basic fluid trainer might suit my needs....

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It's the sheer effort required that's mostly the issue...once I'm going like Billy-O balance is not too bad...but I can't start at full tilt, my heart will explode! I'm thinking a basic fluid trainer might suit my needs....
Can you define Billy-O? You should be able to go as low as 60 RPM quite easily.

Top Bottom