Rollers or Turbo

Rollers or Turbo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a turbo trainer already, so I either have to change my tyre every time I want to use it or trash the tyre I have on. The other option I have is to purchase a new wheel and tyre. which at the cheapest will run to around £100.... (I think)

Also, I understand that using rollers is better for your bike handling once you learn how to use it......

So, I am interested in who has what or which you think is best.

Sharky

Guru
I use an old turbo as substitute for not going out when bad weather. Just use my Ribble winter training bike with conti city contacts (28mm), with tread pattern. Rolls fine and enough rubber on the tyre not to worry about any wear caused specifically by the turbo.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Search is your friend on this one as it's been done before, but my personal summary

Rollers
Pedaling technique,especially at higher cadences, recovery/warmup, unstructured spins without faffing with wheels etc. Low resistance range will limit the training benefit. Looking cool :whistle:.

Turbo
Greater range of resistance - higher resistance/power/intensity efforts are usually an important component if you're following a structured training plan of any stamp. Subjectively they can be boring. More stable, so less risk of looking not cool. :whistle::whistle:

e-rider

crappy member
[QUOTE 4002606, member: 45"]What effect does a turbo have on a tyre? Does it really trash them quickly?[/QUOTE]
yes, the heat build-up will make the tyre fall apart within just a few goes

RickB

professional procrastinator
[QUOTE 4002606, member: 45"]What effect does a turbo have on a tyre? Does it really trash them quickly?[/QUOTE]
It certainly sorer on tyres. But not ridiculously so. I've done almost 4000km on a bkool trainer and I'm on my second tyre for about the last thousand. That's 160 sessions.

screenman

Legendary Member

The tyre on my turbo specific bike has been on the 5 years and does quite a lot of work. Still going strong.

Top Bottom