Rolling Resistance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Captain

Hi there,
I am pretty new to maintaining my own bike as I've only been riding regularly for 5 months.
I think the rolling resistance on my bike has increased lately with very little explanation.

I had brake troubles with my disk brakes making a horrible sounding noise and diminished stopping power. I took it to a shop nd the fellow toe'd in my pads and tightened the cables which made them awesomely powerful. (although they have started getting less powerful again - unknown as to the reason.)
I have done little to no maintenance to my bike since I got it except from oiling the chain and pulling as much dirt and crap out of the drivetrain as I find.

OK on the topic,
I was wondering what areas of the bike put resistance on the bike when your moving - I only know about brakes dragging and keeping your tyres pumped.
Can the axles or anything else give noticeable resistance?

e-rider

crappy member
bearings

Bearings generally get slacker as the bike ages. Most cases of bearings being the cause of increased rolling resistance would be down to them being improperly adjusted ( far too tight ), so if you haven't touched them recently I reckon they will not be the problem. If you powerwash the bike, it is easy to jet all the grease from a wheel bearing and make it run dry - that would do it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Easy test: turn your bike upside down, resting on handlebars & saddle, and try to spin the wheels. The front one should go round very freely, and the rear at least smoothly (you have to allow for the drag of the ratchet system) - if either doesn't go round easily, your problem (assuming your brakes aren't binding) is probably in the hubs. 

OP
OP
C

Captain

Thanks for the replies, I have been riding in the rain an amount though.
Can the axle between the pedals get bogged down aswell?

if I have lost the grease out of them can I simply dob grease into them or should I leave it for a mechaniic?

Top Bottom