Rolling Stone list of top singers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I don’t think Annie Lennox is on the list.
She’s demonstrably better than quite a few on that list with a style and body of work to support her entry.
Someone please try to convince me that Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga or Christina Aguilera are better singers than Annie Lennox.

Cerdic

I‘m familiar with 48 of the top 50, and have heard of most of the top 100. But then, I did work in a record shop back in the day…!

Bear in mind that Rolling Stone is a US based magazine and this list reflects that. Some of these acts are much bigger in the US than elsewhere.

Maybe it would have been better titled as ‘most popular singer’ or some such…

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Excuse me? :ohmy:
List of 86 unknowns...

Alex321

Veteran
Oh. If they're unknowns how would you have heard of them? :scratch:

By them being in this list.

I didn't count how many in the list I had never heard of, but it was quite a few.

I wouldn't argue with Aretha Franklin at #1, but a lot of the rest are way off IMO. I'd have put Joan Bez above Joni Mitchell, for instance. But that is on singing quality rather than the other things they were counting. But on that basis, Springsteen should have been a lot higher.

But there will be as many opinions here as there are people looking at the list.

I don’t think Annie Lennox is on the list.
She’s demonstrably better than quite a few on that list with a style and body of work to support her entry.
Someone please try to convince me that Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga or Christina Aguilera are better singers than Annie Lennox.

Can I add Lisa Stansfield, Alison Moyet and Jimmy Sommerville to the 'better than Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga or Christina Aguilera' list.

Also where is Meatloaf, Madonna and Holly Johnson!

Top Bottom