Ron Cooper find.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Maclean

Searching for parts for the winter projects this morning, I found this beauty.
My other winter projects have just been put on hold!
My question is why does it say Campagnolo on the drop out? Do they make steel frames also?
E3FBE2DC-E668-4B9F-8738-B7D6952D778C.jpeg
8ACF8D90-E1F6-49F4-A583-28E8DCBF9C42.jpeg
26E2C9D2-4351-4801-84BF-C6EEA7C6642F.jpeg

Attachments

• FCB23A95-15EC-42BE-87C0-D3FFAA39A2C2.jpeg
    FCB23A95-15EC-42BE-87C0-D3FFAA39A2C2.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 32

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

OP
OP
Bobby Maclean

Bobby Maclean

Nice find. Don't know anything about Ron Cooper but looks a quality frame. Any tubing sticker anywhere? Those forks look like they may be Columbus.
Campag only made drop outs not frames or tubing.
Geometry on the bike is not too aggressive so should be a comfortable ride.

Edit: Bit about Ron here;
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Cooper_Ron.htm

It is interesting, I have got a few chores to do around the house before I can check for stickers I may of missed.
....More snaps,

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hope that seat post moves! Have you tried it? Looks like it may have been stood out in the weather which won't have helped

Chainset looks little used.

That BB looks interesting, can't quite make out the graphic under the dirt.

Last edited:
It says Campagnolo on the drop-out because Campagnolo was a big producer of drop-outs for other frame makers. Campag and Cinelli ruled the roost in that department once upon a time. Tulio Campagnolo invented the QR and its drop-out.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unfortunately not @midlife he passed away in 2012 according to the classic rendezvous link.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ron Cooper was one of the old London frame-builders who built frames for many famous marques in his time. A mutual friend says he built some Curly Hetchins, though possibly not officially. I've seen some very nice examples of his work.

midlife

Guru
What is SABA and portacatena?

SABA sold things in the 70's with their name and logo on them. They also sponsored Ian Hallam (KP Crisps - SABA team). Their frames were made by Viner and I'm note sure if they actually made anything. They did clothing and accessories, titanium replacement bolts tec.

DSC_0585-1.jpg

Portacatena were dropouts made by campag to hold a device which held the chain while changing wheels, needed a special lever, never really got off the ground..

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/portacatena-comp.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom